Style

Inspirations of the Week

Five things that inspired us this week and determined the way we dressed

1. Solange

solange

Queen Solange – Yes, not Queen B. Solange is no longer just seen as Beyoncé’s sister but rather a style icon. Fun, free and bold that’s how I’d describe Solange’s style. I love her careless vintage girl look. I’m a big fan of how she can turn outfits that look so simple into something so chic and timeless. Like this suit she wears in the photo. I love how she’s brave enough to use a green clutch and the heels are a perfect way to make this outfit look classy and simple. Her boldness is the reason why I’ve stepped away from “all black everything” and added some colour into my wardrobe.

2. Culottes

culottes

Culottes are probably one of my favourite fashion pieces at the moment. Culottes are like turtle necks to me – you can never have too many and they go with everything. They can turn a really plain outfit into a something really sophisticated. Let’s take Gigi Hadid for example flaunting this fabulous pair of blue culottes at the Samsung Galaxy launch: simple yet chic. The great thing about culottes is that it suits every body type, so it’s safe to say I have a few culottes in my closet.

3. Clueless

Every teenage girl has seen or had an encounter with the 90’s movie Clueless. If you haven’t I’m sure you’ve seen Iggy Azalea’s music video which is in fact based on Clueless. It’s clear to say that a lot of the fashion trends that were in the 90’s are coming back today from box braids to co-ords, 90’s fashion has made a come-back. One of my favourite 90’s pieces in my wardrobe is my pleated skirt from American apparel, it’s cute and fun which is how I would describe the fashion in Clueless.

4. The wild 70’s

that 70s show

High waist jeans. Every girl has a pair but I think a lot of us forget that they originated from the 70’s.  From big frilly hair to jumpsuits – the 70’s were a great time for fashion and just like the 90’s fashion, the 70’s are coming back. Something that I’ve really fallen in love with this season is flared jeans and jumpsuits.

5. University of Nottingham Street style 

caught-on-campus

I’m inspired daily by how others dress and I really enjoy seeing how people mix and match their clothes. I’m even more impressed when I see a really nice outfit on campus. Let’s face it, it’s not easy to roll out of bed for a 9:00am and still look presentable. Which is why I’m often amazed at the outfits I see on campus. From bomber jackets with skinny jeans to fedora hats with ribbed dresses, it’s safe to say we’re studying in style.

Habiba Katsha

Image Credits: Solange X Madewell campaign, Clueless, Caught on Campus/Impact, That 70s show,  Startraks Photo/ Rex Shutterstock

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

Style