2016: Hot Or Not – Dad’s Army

Let’s wave goodbye to 2015! Good times, bad times we’ve had them all – but you know what they say, as one door closes, another one opens. Over the coming month we’ll be bringing you a snapshot of everything 2016 has to offer – the good, the bad and the ugly. Hold onto your hats folks, it’s going to be a bumpy ride!

‘Don’t panic!’ comes the cry as the wonderfully nostalgic Dad’s Army returns to the big screen, with a twenty-first century update and a brand new – but equally wonderful – cast. The last episode of this classic television series was screened in 1977, and for many the absence of the inept Home Guard of Walmington-on-Sea (led by the hilarious Captain Mainwaring) has been a long one.

Featuring some of our finest English actors, including Toby Jones, Bill Nighy, Michael Gambon and Catherine Zeta Jones, Dad’s Army returns to 1944, during the heart of World War II. The Home Guard are suffering from low morale, until glamorous journalist Rose Winters (Zeta Jones) arrives to shake things up a bit. At the same time MI5 (Colonel Theakes, played by Sherlock favourite Mark Gatiss) discover a radio signal transmitting to Germany, meaning a spy is in their midst, threatening the security of not just Walmington-on-Sea – but England itself…

Comedy naturally ensues as the motley crew attempt to discover the spy, resulting in hula-skirt disguises and being chased by a raging bull. Not to mention the wonderful ability to put off a German submarine by wearing a kilt and exposing bum cheeks. Just your normal day defending Britain’s shores then!

With all the comedy, bravado and light-heartedness of the original series, even the most die-hard Dad’s Army fans will be sure to enjoy this reboot – that’s if the trailer is anything to go by! With a cast to make the originals proud, and such cracking one-liners as ‘I saw that, you just slipped her a sausage’, Dad’s Army is sure to be a favourite for all the family, and is definitely top of my ‘to watch’ list!

Amy Wilcockson

Click here for more Features and News

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.