2016: Hot Or Not – The Revenant

Lets wave goodbye to 2015! Good times, bad times we’ve had them all – but you know what they say, as one door closes, another one opens. Over the coming month we’ll be bringing you a snapshot of everything 2016 has to offer – the good, the bad and the ugly. Hold on to your hats folks, it’s going to be a bumpy ride!

Could this be the one?

Could The Revenant be the film to finally give Leonardo DiCaprio his Oscar?

Set in the 1820s, Hugh Glass (Leonardo Di Caprio) is a frontiersman who is left for dead by his party, eventually being mauled by a bear. Having survived the viscous attack, now he’s out for vengeance against those who left him to the mercy of that fateful grizzly.

Having been released to limited screens in the US, The Revenant has already begun to build Oscar buzz. The reviews are positive, the team behind it are some of the best in the business and the trailers have been works of art unto themselves.

The two leads, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy, are some of the best working actors in Hollywood today. Both have proved their range and versatility, making any project they’re involved in a tantalizing experience, to see what life that they can breathe into original characters. DiCaprio has made his millions and is very much a beloved actor. Yet the constant reminder of not having an Oscar is certainly pushing him to become even greater than he already is. Watching an actor of his calibre continually push his limits is always exciting to behold.

However, the leads are not the best reason to look forward to this wild tale, as director Alejandro González Iñárritu currently holds the Oscar for best director. His no-cut style, that gained so much praise in Birdman, is being brought to this new project. Not stopping with one gimmick to provide a unique experience, the film is only being shot with natural light. Combined, these two techniques will surely make for a visceral and absorbing movie-going experience.

Glenn Tanner

Image sourced from ‘The Revenant’, 20th Century Fox.

Click here for more Features and News

For more articles from Film & TV, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.