2016: Hot Or Not – Zootopia

Let’s wave goodbye to 2015! Good times, bad times we’ve had them all – but you know what they say, as one door closes, another one opens. Over the coming month we’ll be bringing you a snapshot of everything 2016 has to offer – the good, the bad and the ugly. Hold on to your hats folks, it’s going to be a bumpy ride!

2016 will once again see Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios battle for that all important label of the best animation of the year. Pixar may have the upper hand with Finding Dory as playing the nostalgia card seems like an excellent way to reel in those viewers. However, Walt Disney Animation Studios has hit massive successes within the last few years, namely Frozen. ‘Frozen fever’ still continues in the commercial world, and with Zootopia on the 2016 horizon, who is to say this can’t be as successful?

So can Zootopia do it? (Zootropolis for us UK viewers). Can it really take on the huge Finding Dory shaped elephant in the room? From what the trailers have shown, the answer seems to be a big fat YES. The first trailer introduced us to a film that seemed entirely set in a world where society is not run by humans, but zoo animals. This trailer did not give much away, but then Walt Disney Animation Studios released their hugely successful sloth trailer. This trailer showed us much more about the world of Zootopia and we were introduced to the two main protagonists, a cute but fierce officer Hopps and a sneaky looking fox as her partner.

The characters of the sloths were simply comedy genius. The humour looks to be silly whilst still remaining witty and clever. This therefore sets this film up to be one for everyone to enjoy – children and adults alike. 2015 saw Pixar’s hugely successful Inside Out entwine very adult concepts and issues into a children’s film and Zootopia seems to be taking a similar road. The latest trailer, released just before the turn of the new year shows that this film is going to take on sexism in the work place. This film is surely set to be interesting and is definitely one that everyone will eventually go and see, making this a definite ‘hot’ film for 2016.

Larissa Rowan

Image from ‘Zootopia’, Walt Disney Animation Studios

Click here for more Features and News

For more articles from Film & TV, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

• Kypho
    28 August 2016 at 08:10