Stop the Traffik Society holds clothes swap to raise awareness of traffiking

The University of Nottingham’s (UoN) Stop The Traffik society held a clothes swap on 11th March to help raise awareness of trafficking issues. 

At an even swap of one item of clothing for another, or £1 for each item, the event was positively received by attendees. And although the society will not be making a profit, they stated that they raised a lot of awareness.

Elliot Emery, President of UoN’s Stop The Traffik society, seemed happy about the amount of clothes both donated and swapped.

“A lot of people didn’t know what it was and seemed interested to find out”

Emma Hancox, Treasurer of the society, told Impact that she was “positively surprised by how many people asked about Stop The Traffik. A lot of people didn’t know what it was and seemed interested to find out”.

The next step for the society is to collaborate with a variety of other societies to spread awareness of the cause. Elliot said that “light-hearted type of events are needed to raise awareness and get people to engage with the issues”.

“You just don’t know where the clothes come from. No shops are really transparent with it”

When asked where the committee members got their clothes from, especially on a student budget, they empathetically agreed that this was the issue. “You just don’t know where the clothes come from. No shops are really transparent with it”.

Emma added that ever since she has gotten involved with the society, she has become a lot more aware of the issues. She prefers to shop at charity shops now to make sure she does not indirectly support traffiking.

Raphaela Ring

Image: Stop The Traffik UoN

Follow Impact News on Twitter and Facebook