Varsity 2016: Women’s Football Interview

IMPACT Sport spoke to Beth Garner, a member of the UoN Women’s Football Team, on their season and Varsity preparations.

How has the season gone so far?

BG: “It has been really good so far; all three teams in football and futsal have done really well! We have a new coaching structure, and people have responded really well to it, which is really promising.

“The 1st team finished second in the BUCS 2nd in league to Trent, but we beat them 2-1 on Friday, so it is very nip-and-tuck with them!”

Have there been any new players for this year that have really impressed? Will we see them at Varsity?

BG: “We have been really impressed with the Women’s World Cup effect! The number of people involved has grown in the last two years to about 100 people, which is really promising for the future!”

How is the preparation for Varsity going?

BG: “It’s been good! We’ve changed the way we select the team for Varsity, which is now an open trial system. It will no longer be just the first team who get the chance to play at Meadow Lane.”

“With a lot of people graduating we want to go out on this high”

“The coaching personnel and their set-up has changed too; the committee and coach structure is now moving towards performance based at high end, but we have also ensured that there is a focus on development.”

“It has been a transition season but this was beneficial for the future of the club!”

“The game itself will be very tight! We have the first week of Easter off, but will also have a fitness schedule. When we come back, we will prepare with normal training sessions, but hopefully we can train every couple of days and maintain the fitness levels.”

“We are looking to have in-club friendlies, and are also talking to Birmingham and Loughborough about these to keep our match fitness as high as possible!”

How is your recent record against Trent? Do you think you can improve/continue the record?

BG: “The first team hasn’t won since 2012, so with a lot of people graduating we want to go out on this high! It’s always very tight in the league, especially the 1st team league!”

“Wearing the Nottingham shirt at Meadow Lane in front of so many people will be phenomenal”

“There is a lot of desire for this title! The team really want to play and win and this will have a massive influence. Not being sure of playing makes everyone try harder!”

“Selection will be later on, after we have trained as a club.”

What is your favourite thing about the Varsity series?

BG: “I think I’m most looking forward to stepping onto the pitch for the first time; wearing the Nottingham shirt at Meadow Lane, in front of so many people, will be phenomenal!”

“A lot of UoN and Trent girls play for Forest so we do know each other, but we still want to win for sure!”

Are you looking to go to any events aside from yours?

BG: “Yeah, definitely! Who needs a degree? Futsal, basketball, ice hockey, American football, rugby – they are definitely the ones I’m looking to go to!”

BUCS Football 2015-2016 – Midlands 1A

Updated: 13/03/2016 13:21 P W D L GD Pts
1 Nottingham Trent 1st 9 8 1 0 44 25
2 Nottingham 1st 9 7 0 2 33 21
3 Loughborough 2nd 9 6 1 2 22 19
4 Oxford 1st 9 4 0 5 4 12
5 Derby 1st 9 1 0 8 -54 3
6 Northampton 1st 9 0 0 9 -49 0

Interview conducted by Phil Taylor

Words by Connor Higgs

Images: IMPACT Image Team

Follow @ImpactVarsity16 on Twitter or like the Impact Sport Facebook page for more Varsity updates.

SportVarsity