5 Ways To Celebrate Shakespeare

From down-right funny theatre to shocking revelations about everyone’s favourite bard. This is how to brush up on your Shakespeare in Nottingham this summer.

1. Watch The Complete Deaths of William Shakespeare @ The Nottingham Playhouse

Did you know that in Shakespeare’s works there are whopping 74 onstage deaths? For the morbidly curious lovers of Shakespeare this light-hearted, but bloody take on how some of the most ill-fated tragic heroes and villains in literature met their ends, this is a must-see. Tickets are just £16 and can be purchased from Nottingham Playhouse via their website or directly from their box office.

1. Listen out for exclusive local Shakespeare stories on Radio Nottingham

BBC Radio Nottingham’s collection of podcasts on the bard entitled ‘Shakespeare on Tour’ recounts the fascinating relationship with Nottinghamshire you never knew the playwright had. Including the first black man to perform in a Shakespeare play in Nottingham. Tune in throughout April.

1. Shakespeare’s Folktales @ The Third Stage at The Theatre Royal

A unique night of storytelling that is easy on the pocket at only £7 a ticket. George Bassett, Sally Quilter and Amanda Smith present a selection of folk tales that inspired some of Shakespeare’s most loved plays including King Lear and The Merchant of Venice.

1. Watch As You Like it @ Broadway Cinema Nottingham

If you missed the National Theatre’s performance of one of Shakespeare’s most riotous comedies As You Like it, Broadway cinema are celebrating 400 years of the playwright by showing the play on the big screen. Tickets for students are £10 and can be purchased on the website.

1. Experience Outdoor Theatre @ Nottingham Castle

Set against a beautiful backdrop, Nottingham Castle presents Shakespeare outdoors. Performances include Hamlet, Twelfth Night and Much Ado about Nothing. The Outdoor Theatre programme kicks off in July; tickets are £15 and can be purchase from the experience Nottinghamshire website.

Sophia Harris

To keep up to date with our Shakespeare Week, follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

Image Credit: Tom Watchorn

ArtsArts Features