Five Inspirational Quotes to Get You Reading!

There are plenty of people out there who love reading, whether an English student like me, or not. However, there are others who may need the added push to log off Netflix and pick up a book! Hopefully the quotes in this article will inspire even the most reluctant of readers, and encourage everyone to start reading again!

1. “Let’s be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading’’
               – Lena Dunham

I can’t think of anything more necessary for English students! Despite spending a fair bit of my evening reading, I am never ‘on top’ of my reading list, and secondary reading is a far-off dream, with reading off-syllabus an even further-off dream reserved for summer holidays. This quote must sum up the feelings of most avid book worms, as there just isn’t enough time in a week to read for fun.

2. “I am simply a book drunkard’’
              – Lady Mary Wortley Montagu

I love how quirky this quote is! Especially from a character like Lady Mary. This phrase is applicable to many reading situations, not only regarding bookaholics, but also those who were victims to the uncontrollable crying caused by emotional reads such as John Green’s The Fault in our Stars. This book will have you crying like an emotional drunk in no time.

3. “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me”
               – Lewis Carroll

Well for me, replace the tea with a cup of coffee, and that sums me up perfectly when it comes to fiction. Although reading some of the door-stop size anthologies required for my course does slightly disprove this one! In that case, there simply are books that are too long, but I stand with the point on the coffee.

4. “Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn’t carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life”
                 – Stephen King

Stephen King couldn’t have summed it up better if he tried! The only downside is that they can be easily lost or damaged, for instance dropped in the bath or left on the bus. Inevitably I do often carry a book around most of the time, to fill time waiting for friends or simply to prevent boredom!

5. “It’s always better to have too much to read than not enough’’
                  – Ann Patchett

Well Ann has clearly never met a stressed-out English student – or most university students for that matter! I’m sure everyone can admit to having to spend an all-nighter skim reading something that was supposed to be read for the day before! Although there are few things worse that forgetting a book on a long train journey or even worse leaving it on the train, having nothing to read can be one of the worst things for a bookworm to deal with.

Lizzie Robinson

Image credit: Sam via Flickr

For more Five Things follow Impact Arts on Facebook and Twitter

• Blake
    29 August 2016 at 11:33