Our picks for Scalarama in Nottingham

The Scalarama international initiative to turn September into the unofficial month of cinema hits Nottingham! In convention with the Nottingham cinema collective, a month of cinematic entertainment awaits all around town for the avid cinephile or even the casual moviegoer. We’re here to let you know of some of the standout events so you don’t miss your favorite…

Repo Man:

scalarama pic 1

A crazy and comedic ride is what Alex Cox offers in his 1984 cult classic science fiction movie Repo Man. Often hailed as one of the best movies of that year.

The film follows young punk rocker Otto Maddox as he takes a job as a repo man, following the advice of a new, mysterious acquaintance. Soon Otto finds out that “the life of a repo man is always intense”. Going on would spoil too much but keep in mind it includes sex, crime and aliens. What more could you ask for?

See it in the Savoy Cinema on the 8th of September at 8:15 pm!

Barfly:

scalarama pic 2

If you’re a student in university you may be unaware of this but Mickey Rourke is not so much a retired boxer turned actor, but more of a retired actor, turned boxer, turned back into actor. Before his days of body-building turned him into a menacing presence on screen, he garnered critical acclaim with his role in Barfly, a semi-biographical depiction of poet and author Charles Bukowski.

Follow Henry and his relationship with alcohol in the backdrop of thriving LA. The story is not your classic redemption tale, but rather a depiction of a man trapped and ultimately enamored with an unsustainable way of life. Think Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas with less narcotics and a lot more drinking.

See it in Nottingham’s Writer’s Studio on the 9th of September at 7:30 pm!

Notes on Blindness:

scalarama pic 3

A new biographical film about writer and theologian John Hull who lost his eyesight in 1983, shortly before the birth of his first son. He recorded a number of audiocassettes during the course of his next years, which were published in 1990. Based on these recordings, Notes on Blindness recollects the thoughts and wonders of a mind dealing with and adjusting to blindness, gaining a new world view in the process. Truly an eye-opening tale for anyone, and especially crucial if you are close to anyone going through the same experience.

Catch it on the 24th of September at The White Lion Kitchen and Bar. The session will be followed by a Q&A session with the directors as well as other fun activities and food!

Dr. Butcher M.D. Medical Deviate:

scalarama pic 4

Also known as Zombie Holocaust, this Italian horror film from the ’80s is a cult classic. You might have met some sketchy doctors but if you haven’t met corpse-mutilating, zombie-creating, cannibalist Doctor Obrero and his associates from Molucca then you’ve seen nothing. It’s a gore fest for all to enjoy, and it is sure to make you at least slightly nervous next time you visit your GP.

Get terrified in the Broadway Cinema on the 17th of September at 9:30pm!

Women in Love:

scalarama pic 5

Based on D.H. Lawrence’s novel of the same name, 1969’s Women in Love is a passionate tale of two sisters, Gudrun and Ursula Brangwen, and their respective love interests Gerald Crich and Rupert Birkin. As the relationships progress and intensify, they differ in many respects. The sentimentality and depth in the movie is clear as day, and it is particularly intriguing to see the intricacies of all the relationships in the movie, not only between the lovers or the sisters, but between the men themselves who share a strong emotional bond.

If you enjoy sentimental movies and feel nostalgic for those ’60s productions full of emotion, this is certainly the movie for you. See it in the White Lion Kitchen and Bar on the 16th of September at 7:30 pm!

As you can see, there is something for everyone at Scalarama this year, and for a full list of events in Nottingham and the rest of the world be sure to visit the Scalarama official webpage.

Nicolas Caballero

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Images sourced by Noisey, Huffington Post, Sub Scene and Amazon