Nottingham

University of Nottingham race into second in the BUCS rankings

University of Nottingham continued their flying start to the season this week with another superb set of results, which saw them climb above last year’s BUCS Champions Loughborough University and into second place in the BUCS rankings.

Now sitting on an impressive 2077 points, Nottingham will now have its eyes set firmly on catching BUCS leaders Durham University, who currently stand just 26 points ahead of the Green and Gold.

Another outstanding week saw Lauren Heria’s teams victorious in 54 of their 92 competitive clashes, an impressive win ratio of 59%. Amongst these were fantastic performances from the University of Nottingham Tennis team, who were unbeaten in all 8 matches played on Wednesday. 

screenshot-2016-11-03-18-00-05

Likewise, Nottingham’s Squash team produced a similarly impressive display, losing just one of twelve matches against a variety of different University opponents. The Squash club have had a very successful start to the season so far, with both the 1st Teams Men’s & Women’s topping their respective groups at the first Premier League BUCS Weekend.

President of the University of Nottingham Squash Club Lea Van Der Zwalmen told IMPACT: “I am delighted with our recent performances and proud we can contribute to the current success of Nottingham’s sport. The coming weeks will be even more exciting for the Squash Club, as we are hosting a Graded and Professional Tournament, as well as the BUCS Individual National Championship early December.”

More information about these events can be found on the University of Nottingham Squash website http://uonsquash.co.uk/.

“These recent performances show that the Green and Gold mean to maintain their high rank, and may even top the outstanding fourth place finish achieved last year”

Elsewhere this week, there were strong results for UoN’s Rugby League and Union sides, as well as UoN Football clubs, which were undefeated in all seven fixtures on Wednesday. Important mentions must also go to Hockey and Lacrosse who won six of 11 and four of seven matches in their respective sporting fixtures.

After an outstanding start to this years campaign, which saw UoN top of the BUCS rankings after two weeks, these recent performances show that the Green and Gold mean to maintain their high rank, and may even top the outstanding fourth place finish achieved last year.

These fantastic opening four weeks are perhaps made even sweeter by our supremacy over local rivals Nottingham Trent, who currently languish down in 13th position with a total of 1070 points, almost half that of Nottingham University. A promising statistic ahead of this years Varsity campaign.

Further information on the University of Nottingham’s results and fixtures can be found on the BUCS website, if you are considering lending your support to the Green and Gold in the next round of sporting fixtures on Wednesday.

Freddie Stuart

Image: University of Nottingham via Flickr

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and like Impact Sport on Facebook

NottinghamSport