Gilmore Girls: A year in the life

Oy with the poodles already! The ‘Gilmore Girls’ are back and better than ever!

To its many fans, myself included, the cult-hit TV show Gilmore Girls is a very precious thing. The abrupt ending of the final season in 2007 (due to cancellation) left audiences with a lot of unanswered questions. Primarily: it can’t end there, can it? Luckily 2016 did get one thing right in releasing four brand new feature-length Gilmore Girls episodes to Netflix.

Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life Season 1 Air Date 11/25/16 Pictured: Alexis Bledel, Lauren Graham

As many will know, the final season of the original show was not written by its creator Amy Sherman-Palladino. Fans were therefore denied the opportunity to hear the much sort after final four words, which have been safely guarded by Sherman-Palladino ever since. The revival grants Gilmore Girls fans, old and new, the chance to say farewell to this beloved show and its characters.

We meet Lorelai (Lauren Graham) and Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel), the iconic duo more akin to friends than mother and daughter, back in a snow-covered Stars Hollow. They too are reunited with each other after some time apart. We catch up with the ‘Gilmore Girls’ as both characters find themselves at a crossroads at this stage in their lives. Rory is unsure of which path to take to further her career as a writer. At the same time, Lorelai is coming to terms with the passing of her father which has put a strain on her relationship with her mother, Emily Gilmore (Kelly Bishop).

Almost instantly the show feels as it did in earlier seasons. Graham and Bledel successfully reprise their funny, caffeine fuelled, fast talking rapport. This is paired with snappy dialogue and filled with pop culture references which place the Gilmores very much in 2016. The four new episodes keep the focus on the Gilmores and their relationship with each other, as well as re-introducing our favourite quirky characters who made the show so successful back in the ’00s.

At the same time the series is set in present-day 2016 which creates new plot-points that feel fresh and original. To the delight of many, the new chapters act as a loving tribute to the original series and provide closure to fans whose active love for the show brought Gilmore Girls back onto our screens.

If you are watching these newly released episodes as a standalone show it could be easy to pick some elements of the series apart. One aspect being Rory’s incredible ability to fly across time zones in an instant, as well as the blatant lack of liquid in the girls’ coffee cups. However, these episodes are not aimed towards viewers who are unfamiliar with the show. In fact, what makes the new series so enjoyable are the many Easter eggs, running jokes and quotations that throwback to the original series.

Now that we know those final four words I can only cross my fingers and hope that this isn’t the end. Even if it takes another nine years for Gilmore Girls to come back, I will be waiting patiently by my Netflix account.

Polly Dorrowfield

Click here for more Film and TV Reviews

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.

Media courtesy of Digital Spy and HelloGiggles

Film & TVTV Reviews