Socumentaries: Hip Hop Society

Not sure if you want to take the plunge into the dizzying world of the University’s 200+ societies? Don’t know your Blowsoc from your Bladesoc? The Socumentaries team endeavours to sample as many societies as possible so you don’t have to.

Nottingham nightlife caters perfectly to my music tastes. I don’t care that Crisis plays the same songs every week, because I can sing along to them all whilst clutching yet another VK. I don’t find Ocean unbearable, because I love the cheese and I’m the first to rush to the dance floor when that bizarre Robbie Williams remix comes on.

In short, my music taste is hugely unoriginal and I essentially listen to whatever is on the radio. My parents brought me up on Fleetwood Mac and an ‘I Heart the 80s’ album – I never stood a chance of hearing anything remotely ‘edgy.’

So when I found myself at the Hip Hop Society taster session, I was more than out of my depth. I knew a few people going and I’d heard there was free pizza, so I pottered down with the vision of chatting to my friends until the pizza came, grabbing a slice and then running.

My God was I wrong.

The taster started by introducing yourself and explaining who your favourite hip hop artist was. This was a hurdle in itself for me (I had to hastily google ‘hip hop artists’). I quickly muttered something about Chance the Rapper when it was my turn and then desperately hoped someone else would talk.

Following this, I somehow ended up in the Tupac team for the group quiz – to say I was floundering at this point is a massive understatement. I failed miserably at the quiz (my team got 1 and a half points), and to be totally honest with you, the only discussion I truly understood was which topping we wanted on the free pizza. But, surprisingly, I had a brilliant time.

“There was such a feel-good vibe … there was a vast range of music tastes and everyone was celebrating this diversity”

When the President of the society, Joshua Ogunmokun (who is also the lovely editor of Impact Music! – Ed.), introduced himself and explained the first task was to reveal our favourite hip hop artist, my heart truly sank to my toes. I felt horribly out of my depth, worried everyone would think me a laughing stock.

But that wasn’t the case at all. There was such a ‘feel-good’ vibe in the room. It became clear that there was a vast range of music tastes and knowledge at the session, and everyone was celebrating this diversity. Die-hard hip hop fans with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the genre were mingling with people who, like me, only really experienced hip hop through Drake’s appearances in the top 40, and they all loved sharing their opinions and thoughts.

“Hip Hop Soc offers socials at new and exiting venues – just in case you’re a little tired of Baywatch”

No one cared that I was a complete beginner. They just appreciated that we were all there for a shared reason. The society offers so much if you’re in any way interested in hip hop. They offer socials at new and exciting venues (just in case you’re a little tired of Baywatch) and it boasts a committee that is truly passionate about their society.

Ogunmokun says “at Hip Hop Soc we aim to cater for hip hop lovers and give them an environment to vibe with other like-minded individuals.”

So, whilst I ended up ticking the “I came for free pizza” box on the feedback sheet, I really did have a good time. I came away appreciating how truly passionate some people are for hip hop, and if that genre is something you are interested in, you should absolutely head down to Hip Hop Soc.

You’ll end up in a room of like-minded people, passionate about music, all coming together to share in something they enjoy. It doesn’t matter if you’re a complete novice or a seasoned veteran of hip hop music, the society will absolutely cater to your needs. You never know, you might end up a fan – I even played some Childish Gambino the other day.

Rebecca Harvey

Featured Image courtesy of Joshua Ogunmokun.

Follow Impact Features on Facebook and Twitter.

FeaturesSocumentaries