Fashion

‘Londunn’ is Calling – It’s Time to Get “Active”

Jourdan Dunn, who has modelled for the likes of Victoria Secret and Balmain and is the face of Maybelline New York, has now released her own line of sexy ‘Athlesuire’ wear in collaboration with Missguided.

The line will include luxe sports bras, mesh tops, oversized sweatshirts, and velvet joggers with the ‘Londunn’ logo etched across them (a nod to the model’s hometown and surname). The concept behind the collection is wearable, comfortable but statement pieces with a streetwear edge. The collection is practically guaranteed to be a success.

OUT TOMORROW!!!!!! ?????????????? #LONDUNNXMISSGUIDED

A post shared by Jourdan Dunn (@jourdandunn) on

In recent years, work-out gear has now become too pretty for only working a sweat in. What once was reserved for the stuffy, sweaty confines of the gym has now made its way into people’s everyday wardrobe. Take a look around our campus – every other person is walking around looking as though they might be preparing for the Robin Hood Marathon.

Jourdan Dunn is the most recent in a long line of celebrity’s beginning to cash in on this athleisure market. She joins the ranks of Beyonce (with Topshop’s Ivy Park under her belt) and Rihanna (with her collaboration with Puma). With sales climbing from $197 billion in 2007, predicted to rise to over a cool $350 billion by 2020, and athleisure apparel stealing a dramatic market share from non-athletic apparel, it is no wonder these celebrities are looking into cash in now.

The rise of Athlesuire has been seen both on the high-street and high-end fashion circles. In fact, the two have often worked together in order to profit off this growing market. In January, news was released that Alexander Wang and Adidas will drop another collaboration collection this spring. Perhaps this was unsurprising in the wake of the hit of their first collection, which premiered in last year’s New York Fashion Week.

While former giants Hollister and Abercrombie & Fitch have fallen, others such as Tommy Hilfiger has moved away from the preppy to completely accommodate the ‘Athlesuire’ style and have prospered because of it. It seems everyone (and everyone’s mum) has a Calvin Klein or Hilfiger bralette set. The sports luxe trend looks like it’s here to stay.

Elle Magill

Image Credit: Christopher Campbell via Unsplash

Follow @ImpactStyle on Twitter or like the Impact Style Facebook page for more updates on Impact Style.

FashionStyle