BUCS

The University of Nottingham continues its impressive BUCS form in 2017

Yet another outstanding BUCS Wednesday for the University of Nottingham (UoN) saw the Green and Gold claim victory in 35/53 competitive fixtures, and consolidate an impressive third position in the BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) rankings.

Similarly strong weeks for close rivals Durham and Edinburgh have, however, made it close at the top of the table. Durham in second place now sit on a commanding total of 3511 points, 182 ahead of the Green and Gold. However, with UoN’s strong form this calendar year this margin is by no means insurmountable.

Nottingham’s lead over chasers Edinburgh in fourth is now a solid 235 points, which, if results continue, should be enough to see Nottingham through to at the very least another top three finish.

Special mentions this week must go to a number of sports clubs. In particular, UoN’s Water Polo teams completed a clean sweep on BUCS Wednesday. The men’s first team succeeded in defeating Leicester in the BUCS Cup., whilst the women’s side took apart Warwick, Manchester, Liverpool and Dundee with four convincing displays.

Likewise, last week was another successful one for UoN’s all-conquering squash team, with wins in 6/7 fixtures, including 5 cup victories. Similarly UoN’s table tennis club took victory in all three of their matches, including an impressive 9-3 win over local rivals Nottingham Trent (NTU).

Elsewhere, there were wins for Ultimate Frisbee against Derby and East Anglia, 15-0 and 8-7 respectively, and strong cup wins for the Volleyball teams, 3-1 against Exeter and 3-0 against Cambridge.

The University of Nottingham American Football Club also prevailed against Warwick 48-28, completing an undefeated regular season ahead of their playoffs in the coming weeks. Nottingham’s tennis sides also completed a strong set of performances with wins against Oxford, Warwick and East Anglia, and just a single loss to Durham’s first team.

In Lacrosse, there were wins for our men’s first team 12-6 in the cup away at Exeter, whilst the women’s first team lost a close encounter with Cambridge 6-8. The women’s second team, however, did seal victory in dominant fashion with an impressive 14-1 victory away at East Midlands rivals Leicester.

As another BUCS season comes to a close the University of Nottingham has yet again had an outstanding campaign. With Varsity 2017 now only days away, there has never have been a better time for the Green and Gold to come into such fine form.

You can see a full list of the University of Nottingham’s BUCS results here on the UoN Sport website as well as a comprehensive list of fixtures. A massive congratulations again goes to all of our teams on another fantastic week of action!

Freddie Stuart

Image courtesy of University of Nottingham Sport

Follow @ImpactSport on Twitter and Like Impact Sport on Facebook

BUCSSport