Fashion

Red Carpet Ready: Best Dressed – The Met Gala 2017

For the rich and famous, Monday was not just May Day but the most style-orientated event of the year – The Met Gala.

The theme of this year’s event was esteemed Japanese fashion label Comme des Garcons. Comme des Garcons, which was founded by Rei Kawakubo, has become well-known for unique, structured silhouettes and diverse, unconventional textures.  With this in mind, attendees of The Met Gala wowed onlookers in an array of inspired ensembles. Here are Impact Style’s top picks of the night:

Rihanna

What better way to honour a designer than to wear one of their designs. Riri stuck to the well-known aesthetic of the label by wearing this multi-layered, multi-textile Comme des Garcons creation with knee-high strapped heels.

Blake Lively

It’s no surprise that husband Ryan Reynolds was gushing over his significant other. Making every woman envious over more than her first-rate choice in men, Blake Lively looked gorgeous in this gold, sequinned Versace gown with a light to royal blue feathered hem.

Lupita Nyong’o

Lupita Nyong’o can do no wrong when it comes to style and The Met Gala was no exception. The vivid coral colour of this Prada dress has to be one of the most eye-catching, whilst not over-the-top, colours I have seen on a red carpet. In keeping with the theme of the evening, the textured, Bardot neckline adds a delightful twist to the overall look.

Zendaya

Although the Dolce and Gabanna dress that Zendaya wore to the event was not necessarily in keeping with the theme, it has to be mentioned. From the tropical pattern to the Bardot neckline (a popular choice this year), the gown had an exquisite Latin American feel to it.

Reese Witherspoon

Reese Witherspoon combined the unique structural aesthetic of Comme des Garcons with her natural, simple elegance when she arrived at The Met Ball in this Mugler dress.

Dakota Johnson

Living up to the name of her latest film – Fifty Shades Darker – Dakota Johnson arrived in a black Gucci gown to this year’s events. The Gucci dress drew on the multifaceted nature of Comme des Garcons with a layered neckline and skirt but accentuated waist.

Zoe Kravitz 

The mix of pink satin and black ruffles on the Oscar de la Renta gown, which Zoe Kravitz wore to this year’s Met Ball, combined the gothic with the girly. The floor-length cape was another welcome addition to the piece.

Daisy Ridley

The Star Wars actress looked beautiful in this monochrome, floral Oscar de la Renta gown. The graphic textile and the exaggerated silhouette make the same kind of statement that Comme des Garcons is so known for.

Priyanka Chopra

I admire someone who takes a risk with their styling, especially on the red carpet. Priyanka did just that at this year’s Met Gala. The floor-length Ralph Lauren trench coat with structured collar brought an edge to a traditional piece.

Hailee Steinfeld

Although my opinion may prove controversial in this instance, I view this Vera Wang creation with complete adoration. Despite receiving criticisms from the likes of Carsson Gressley on E! Fashion Police, who exclaimed “I needed a map!”, the multiple elements of this dress are in keeping with theme of the event. The black dress with golden trimming demonstrates Hailee Steinfeld’s desire to experiment with trends, a speciality of Comme des Garcons.

Presley Gerber

As a descendent of super model Cindy Crawford, it comes as no surprise that Presley Gerber has developed a keen eye for fashion. The royal blue satin jacket and black trouser suit with patterned pocket square was a winner in the menswear category. The ensemble was part of Topman’s collection, so boys if you are looking for something to make you stand out at any of the upcoming formals, Topman has you covered.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTmH4kgh1f_/?hl=en&taken-by=presleygerber

Jo Grimwood

Image Credit: vaibhav ahuja via Flickr – License.

Follow @ImpactStyle on Twitter or like the Impact Style Facebook page for more updates on Impact Style.

FashionLifestyleStyle