UoN Women’s Basketball take the point in a hotly contested fixture at Nottingham’s Motorpoint Arena

The University of Nottingham (UoN) Women’s Basketball team maintained their perfect Varsity record with a 62-56 victory over their Nottingham Trent University rivals at the Motorpoint Arena.

Tuesday’s Varsity basketball fixtures provided fantastic viewing for both the Green and Gold and the Trent Army in a packed out Motorpoint Arena.

The Green and Gold came out flying in the first quarter taking a commanding 19-9 lead at the 15 minute mark. Despite a spectacular three pointer from Trent number 10 Vicky Gray, UoN looked in control throughout the first period, with slick passing and quick movement showing a clear gulf in class between them and their city rivals.

A calmly converted free-throw from Chrissie Scott-James sealed the ten point advantage for UoN as the buzzer sounded for the first interval.

After a slow first period, Trent came out fighting in the second quarter, dominating both in the forward areas and defensively. The Trent girls seemed to have a slight height advantage and this began to impact the game in the second quarter.

Trent’s number 4 Nygilia McClain becoming an increasing nuisance to the UoN defence, and with the Trent Army finding their voice, the Green and Gold saw their first quarter lead evaporate as Trent went 32-31 ahead, scoring a total of 23 points in the second period.

UoN showed quality and professionalism in abundance to help them see out a nervy final quarter”

After a frantic second period both teams stuttered at the start of the third, with neither team converting in the opening minutes. Rachel Byrne finally broke the deadlock with a sumptuous three pointer to put the Green and Gold back in front.

In fact, Byrne made all of UoN’s points in the third quarter, powering her side almost single-handedly back into a strong 45-40 lead by the end of the quarter.

UoN showed quality and professionalism in abundance to help them see out a nervy final quarter and edge the Green and Gold one point closer to that coveted Varsity series crown. A fantastic three-pointer from Eleanor Bishop to hold off a Trent comeback and give UoN a two point advantage going to the final minutes of the match.

With time running out for Trent both sets of fans were on their feet urging their respective teams on, and it was the UoN side that managed to keep their heads to hold off their Trent counterparts, taking the point with an impressive 62-56 victory.

This was an amazing match for the neutral, not that there were many of those inside the Motorpoint Arena on Tuesday. The atmosphere was electric and both sides can be proud of their outstanding performances.

Congratulations to UoN women’s basketball for an impressive display and claiming yet another point in another dominant Varsity series for the Green and Gold.

Freddie Stuart

Image courtesy of UoN Women’s Basketball

Follow @ImpactVarsity17 for more updates on the second week of Varsity 2017!

SportVarsity