Nottingham

Varsity 2017 Preview: Golf

As one of the events in the second of the Super Wednesdays in this year’s 2017 Nottingham Varsity series, the University of Nottingham (UoN) Golf Club will be taking on their counterparts from Trent at the Ruddington Golf Club.

With the University of Nottingham having achieved a grand slam in the first Super Wednesday of the series 10-0, a second win overall will be critical to the Green and Gold in their hunt to win the series for a sixth straight year.

It has been an unfortunate season from the UoN mixed golf 1st team, as they finished their BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) campaign  bottom of the Premier North division, 14 points behind the team above them, UCLAN 1st.

They were also eliminated from the Warren Golf Cup in their last match in February, losing 6-0 to the University of Exeter’s 1st team. After such a torrid season, there is much doubt over the ability of the team to be able to defeat Trent’s 1st team.

The Green and Gold’s mixed golf 2nd team, however, have experienced a more successful season however, coming fourth out of six in the Midlands 2A division, yet critically finishing seven points above Trent’s 2nd team who came in sixth place.

This looks promising, as in both the cup and league, the UoN 2nd team beat their rivals from Trent 3.5-2.5 and 4-2. As these are the only clashes between the UoN and Trent that have occurred this year in golf, they provide a more optimistic outlook for Green and Gold going into the fixture.

With regard to Trent’s 1st team, they have enjoyed a respectable season in the Midlands 2B division, finishing fourth out of a possible nine places on 13 points, nine points off the division winners East Anglia 1st.

The difference in form does indeed at first glance hand Trent’s 1st team the advantage; however, other factors must be considered into this. First, whilst enduring a bruising season, the UoN team have been competing in a division two levels above that of Trent’s players, so a season of facing higher calibre opposition means the green and gold players will be more than ready to face Trent on Wednesday 10th May.

Secondly, whilst BUCS form is helpful for providing a form guide going into Varsity, everything changes in the event and players often up their game for this or save their best form for this moment. Hopefully then, this will be the case this year and the UoN 1st team can take inspiration from the work of the 2nd team against Trent, overcoming the odds and be triumphant by close of play on 10th May.

After the first half of Varsity 2017 seeing the scores now stretched to 10-5, with the University of Nottingham holding a comfortable lead, securing the point in the second Super Wednesday has become all the more important as the series moves towards a period were Trent are expected to hold the advantage in sports which favour them.

If the Green and Gold golfers are able to hit their top form, they might prove vital to the University of Nottingham holding onto the title for another year.

Jeremy Dunn

Follow @ImpactVarsity17 on Twitter and Like Impact Sport on Facebook for all the action, previews and match reports from the Nottingham Varsity Series 2017.

NottinghamSportVarsity