Trailer Watch: Brigsby Bear

After the teaser trailer release from a few months ago effused a sense of unease, this brand new, longer sneak peak sheds light on the comedy-drama that first previewed at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year.

As a newborn baby, James (Kyle Mooney) was abducted and raised by pseudo-parents who taught him about the outside world through “Brigsby Bear”, a television show created by his kidnappers. However, upon his release into normal society, he discovers the beloved character doesn’t actually exist, and so sets out to make a movie about Brigsby.

Having joined Saturday Night Live as a featured player in 2013, Mooney hasn’t quite carved out his own niche in the veteran sketch show’s repertoire. Combining that with the fact that recent SNL alumni have had trouble in finding success on the big screen – like Amy Poehler and Will Ferrell in The House, and Andy Samberg in Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping – any caution regarding this film would be understandable. But something about this trailer does set it apart from those movies – there’s a kind of bittersweet innocent in James seeking out meaning in his new life.

Hopefully, Mooney will be able to pull off a performance that is both comedic and poignant. He has a great team supporting him, with the cast also consisting of Mark Hamill, Claire Danes, Greg Kinnear and Matt Walsh (who is, in my opinion, one of the best parts of HBO’s Veep). Samberg, as well as his fellow The Lonely Island members, are also producing the film, along with Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, of The Lego Movie fame. One can only hope that Brigsby Bear will take the best parts of all of its influences, and combine them into a truly unique film.

Brigsby Bear comes out later this year, on 8th December.

Sarah Quraishi

Click here for more Trailer Watch

Get in touch with us via Facebook or leave a comment below