Second-year UoN students fall victim to “common” Lenton burglaries

A number of burglaries in Lenton, a popular student area of the city of Nottingham, have been reported by students at the University of Nottingham.

Impact have gotten in contact with a second-year student from the University of Nottingham (UoN) whose house was broken into on Johnson Road.

The tenant reported that they came back home from a night out to find some of their things missing.

“I called the police when I got in because our neighbour had waited up to tell us he saw someone leaving our property carrying laptops.”

“We received an email from the University telling us to make sure all our doors and windows are locked”

The student goes on to say that the police told them that home burglaries are “very common.”

According to the tenant, there were people in the house when the burglary occurred, but they “assumed it was us coming back in.”

Asked if the University have gotten into contact with them after the incident, the tenant said: “[The University] have sent a generic email to people on our street explaining how common it is and how to make the property more secure.”

Another second-year student has also told Impact that they received a similar email from the University after there was a burglary on their street.

“The general attitude we are getting is that this is really normal”

“We received an email from the University telling us to make sure all our doors and windows are locked. We always leave the house securely [locked] whenever going out due to there being a burglary at another house on our road.”

Speaking of the burglaries in Lenton, the tenant from Johnson Road told Impact: “the general attitude we are getting is that this is really normal.”

On the Student Union page, you will be able to find advice on how to keep your home safe from thieves.

Sarah Lindgärde

Featured image courtesy of ‘West Midlands Police’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.