Preview: The Horne Section – 22/11 @ Nottingham Playhouse

If you’re familiar with Alex Horne you’ll know the only thing you can expect, is to not know what to expect. After 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and Never Mind the Buzzcocks on television, their own radio show on Radio 4, and many sold-out shows at the Edinburgh Fringe, Alex Horne brings The Horne Section to Nottingham Playhouse.

Make no mistake. For a ‘comedy band’, this is some serious music. As the name suggests, the Horne Section has some serious pipes, bringing to the table a Jazz sound that may well surprise you when not knowing what to expect. Oh, and there may be the odd banjo thrown in for good measure.

In the vain of Tim Minchin and his Heritage Orchestra, the Horne Section is the kind of comedy show that arguably offers a more wholesome musical experience than many gigs you could go to offering music without the laughs.

Then you have frontman Alex Horne. If you’re looking for searing satire and a witty introspective looking at the deeper questions of the universe, Horne is probably not your man.

If you want a rollercoaster ride through the mind of a brilliantly silly man with an occasionally childish and always hilarious approach to the world, Horne has you covered. After all, this is the man behind Dave’s Taskmaster, an extraordinary show which quite frankly defies description beyond the advice, ‘YouTube it and thank me later’.

The Horne Section is a unique blend of hilarity and brilliant music, combined to guarantee you leaving the theatre with a smile on your face and aching cheeks.

The Horne Section is at the Nottingham Playhouse on Wednesday 22nd November. Buy your tickets here:

https://www.nottinghamplayhouse.co.uk/whats-on/music/the-horne-section-2017/

Ben Baruch