Stress getting to university students

According to a report from NatWest’s Student Living Index 2017, students are dealing with a great deal of stress as university students.

The report states that 61% of university students rate the stress of studying for their degree a 7/10, while 45% consider the stress of managing their finances a 7/10 or above.

Neil Shah, Chief De-Stressing Officer at The Stress Management Society, believes students are increasingly more pressured with the rise of university fees and the increasing number of students who attend university, enlarging competition and raising worries about job prospects.

“students are increasingly more pressured with the rise of university fees”

Maria Milova, a second-year Politics and International Relations student, told Impact: “I am the type of person who will remain calm in stressful situations. However, when it comes to sorting out my own finances it is a whole other story! I think this is the most stressful and daunting part of growing up and being at university.”

Budgeting, attending lectures, managing their money, socialising, and working on assignments, are a few examples that have caused a rise in the demand of student counselling services at universities to go up about 10% annually.

“61% of university students rate the stress of studying for their degree a 7/10”

Neil suggests universities need to offer “more face to face coaching and mentoring”, and provides some tips on how to manage stress while studying:

– Sleeping and eating well, exercising, and good time management.
– Budgeting and sticking to said budget, should help with financial issues.

Rita Faria Figueiras

Featured image courtesy of ‘aaayyymm eeelectriik’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.