Film Review: Pitch Perfect 3

The Bellas are back for another toe-tapping, head-bobbing, musical extravaganza. Although there are rumours of a fourth film, this is supposedly the last of the series and draws a close to the aca-mazing (sorry I had to) action. Despite being inevitably slightly cheesy, Pitch Perfect 3 is infectious and hilarious, and after all, who doesn’t love a bit of cheese?

The story starts with The Bellas having separated ways and struggling to find their feet in the real world outside of Barden University. Beca quits her job, is reunited with the rest of the singing group, and enters a competition performing in various glitzy European cities for members of the military. Up against three other musical acts who all use instruments, The Bellas battle it out for the chance to perform in a televised show at the end of the tour alongside DJ Khaled (yes, DJ Khaled actually features in the film).

“Fat Amy is on top form as usual”

To my bitter disappointment, certain beloved characters do not make a return in the trilogy, including Bumper, Jesse and Benji. Apart from these sad losses, the majority of the cast are back together. I was particularly happy to see the comic duo John (John Michael Higgins) and Gail (Elizabeth Banks), who follow the girls around on their travels, filming a documentary. Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson) is on top form as usual, providing her laugh out loud one-liners. However, we also see a different side of Fat Amy’s character, with the introduction of her estranged father and an insight into her past.

Unsurprisingly, the movie’s soundtrack is great, and The Bellas don’t let us down with their spontaneous aca-pella outbursts. More catchy song covers, more spotless choreography, more romance, more comedy, but unlike the previous films, this one contains more action, with slap-stick fight scenes as Fat Amy gets into hot water with her dad. Even though this is highly unrealistic, it makes for an amusing watch.

“The makers of Pitch Perfect have done a good job of keeping the films and its characters alive”

For me, the plot was a bit basic, with little development of sub-plots to keep the audience engaged. If you’re looking for an intellectually stimulating film, this isn’t the one for you, yet that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have anything to offer. It is funny, entertaining and glamorous, all of which make this a credit-worthy cinematic experience. It’s very easy for film-makers to kill much-loved stories by making bad sequels, but in my opinion the makers of Pitch Perfect have done a good job of keeping the films and its characters alive. It may not be as good as the original, but it’s pretty close. The film ends on an emotional high, with The Bellas giving their final performance and moving on to their different paths.

So, if you’re unsure what to do with that strange time in between Christmas and New Year when you don’t know what day it is, or if you want to start your 2018 off right, then I would recommend seeing this light-hearted film. Even as the last curtain falls, The Bellas’ legacy lives on, until its corny end.

8/10

Sophie Hunt

Image courtesy of Gold Circles Films.

Click here for more Film and TV Reviews

Follow us on social media

Get in touch with us via Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment below.