Happening on Campus

University of Nottingham paying the Living Wage after protest

The Living Wage campaign at the University of Nottingham (UoN) has released a press release announcing the University’s decision to pay the Living Wage of £8.75 to all its staff from 6 November onwards.

Within two days of the Living Wage protest held on 14 November, the ‘University management submitted a revised offer in the 2017/2018 pay negotiations with the trade unions Unite and Unison, which includes paying the real Living Wage to all its lowest paid members of staff.’

The Vice-Chancellor, Professor Shearer West, said: “I am pleased that this offer would mean the University could pay the equivalent of the Voluntary Living Wage in 2017/18, and reflects the University’s wider and longstanding commitment to its lowest paid members of staff.”

“I am pleased that this offer would mean the University could pay the equivalent of the Voluntary Living Wage in 2017/18”

Nottingham University Living Wage campaign member and University and College Union (UCU) UoN Vice President, Andreas Bieler, thanked Professor Shearer West for ‘her courageous decision, marking the start of her tenure as VC in such a positive way.’

The press release goes on to state that paying the Living Wage is only the first step.

‘The campaign’s goal is that the University becomes an officially accredited Living Wage employer, guaranteeing that it will pay the Living Wage not only this year but also in the years to come.’

“The campaign will have to go on, however, until formal accreditation is secured”

The Students’ Union Community Officer, Ellie Mitchell, stated: ‘We very much appreciate the University’s decision to pay the Living Wage for the full 12 months of the year. The campaign will have to go on, however, until formal accreditation is secured.’

Miranda, a second-year International Media and Communication student, said: “This is great news for the staff at the University. Hopefully, the next step would be for the University to become an officially accredited Living Wage employer.”

Sarah Lindgarde

Featured image courtesy of ‘Matt Buck’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook and Twitter for more updates and information on how to get involved.

Happening on CampusNews