Universities minister calls for clarity over vice-chancellors’ pay policies

Higher Education Minister Jo Johnson

Higher Education Minister Jo Johnson has introduced a set of requirements for universities to tackle the rises of vice-chancellors’ pay.

At a delegation with representatives from Universities UK, the Russell Group and the Committee of University Chairs, Jo Johnson called for more transparency in the way pay policies for senior staff are published, and a prohibition against vice-chancellors sitting on committees that set their pay.

At the delegation, Johnson said: “It is vital that pay arrangements command public confidence and deliver value for money for students and taxpayers”.

“It is vital that pay arrangements command public confidence and deliver value for money for students and taxpayers”.

All universities in England must introduce reforms to regulate the rises in vice-chancellor’s pay. “Universities should start adhering to these principles of fair remuneration immediately,” warned Johnson.

The Office for Students, a new higher education regulator, is also seeking to ensure that universities are taking appropriate action with the issue of inflated pay packets. The chief executive has warned MPs that it would intervene if action is not taken.

“Universities should start adhering to these principles of fair remuneration immediately”

The new requirements come after recent public unease surrounding the escalating rate of vice-chancellor’s pay. Most notably, the University of Bath’s vice-chancellor, Dame Glynis Breakwell, came under public scrutiny for receiving £468,000 a year and being a member of the committee that progressively increased her salary.

Sinead Butler

Featured image courtesy of ‘EU2017EE Estonian Presidency’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook.