Mastersystem – Notes On A Life Not Quite Lived

Holly explores the killer question - who are Mastersystem?

Anticipation has been simmering around Mastersystem since the release of the Electric Fields line up was released. Who are they? Why are Scottish band Frightened Rabbit promoting them? Why do I feel like this is going to be something really good?

All was answered when Mastersystem was revealed to be the collaborative work of Frightened Rabbit’s Scott and Grant Hutchinson, and Justin and James Lockey, of the Editors and Minor Victories respectively. The band had been teasing an imminent release on their newly created social media, helped along with Frightened Rabbit and many other faces of the Scottish music circuit, and also Neu Reekie. They have now finally released the first single of the album, ‘Notes On A Life Not Quite Lived’.

Initially I was happy, but not too surprised by the track. It sounded like it could lead onto any number of Frightened Rabbit’s more recent releases, a catchy riff with thoughtful lyricism. It builds with Scott’s voice, pulsating, obviously leading to something. Then it kicked in.

There’s a familiarity to fuzzy sound of the guitars, and cinematic feel of the hook. The grungy yet pop- y chords I’ve been missing since the slow fade of the likes of Snow Patrol. It’s a real hark back to the grunge and sense of anxiety felt in the music of the 90s and early 2000s, something which really works with Hutchinson’s ability to craft a set of lyrics. The nostalgia of the piece is not keeping it from feeling fresh however, and personally the track feels like the ideal tune to pull me into spring.

Mastersystem have captured me with the track, and I can’t wait to hear what the album, Dance Music, has to offer when it is released in early April. Along with the track, there has also been an announcement for a tour throughout April, as well as the festival dates at Electric Fields at Drumlanrig Castle in late August.

Mastersystem UK tour dates:

25 Apr – The Deaf Institute, Manchester

26 Apr – The Cluny, Newcastle Upon Tyne

27 Apr – The Art School, Glasgow

28 Apr – Brudenell Social Club, Leeds

30 Apr – O2 Institute 3, Birmingham

1 May – Oslo, London

Holly Wilson

Featured image courtesy of Mastersystem via Instagram.

Image use license here.

Follow @ImpactMagazine on Twitter or like the Impact Entertainment Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

EntertainmentMusicMusic Features