Further progress for lecture capture as University agrees to policy of regulation

The University of Nottingham (UoN) has agreed to a policy that will regulate lecture capture starting next year.

The Lecture Capture Campaign has been a top priority for former Education officers for the last six years. At the end of last year, it was finally approved by the Teaching and Learning Board (TLB) and Senate.

As of now, there is a policy to guide the use of lecture capture, defining its regulations and uses. The only remaining step is to consult with the Education network, to make sure both academics and students are happy with it.

“Lecture capture should be available at the beginning of the next academic year (2018/19)”

In an interview with the incumbent SU Education Officer, Cassie O’Boyle told Impact: “The idea is for everything to be recorded, and there’ll be a few times where it’s not”. However, she explains that the recordings won’t be “sporadic”, explaining that lectures won’t be recorded every now and then, in the way that it happens now.

The policy will carefully list out the conditions where teachers can abstain from recording their lectures. These exceptions will include situations of market interest or student safety.

O’Boyle also explained how the University’s contract with Echo360, their current lecture capture software, is coming to an end in the next few months. The University is reviewing which will be the best software to use next, to make sure lecture capture runs without any technological problems.

“The policy will list out carefully the conditions where teachers can abstain from recording their lectures”

“It’s just making sure that the technology we have is what students want and is going to benefit students,” Cassie added.

Lecture capture should be available at the beginning of the next academic year (2018/19), across all departments, through an easy system accessible to all UoN students.

Leonor Moniz

Featured image courtesy of ‘Nikolay Georgiev’ via Flickr. License here.
Follow Impact News on Facebook