Trailer Watch – Incredibles 2

Incredibles was released in 2004 and was an instant hit among Disney and Pixar fans everywhere – featuring brilliant superpowers, fantastic characters, and an interesting plot, full of wonderful action and comical, as well as heartfelt, familial interactions, it’s no surprise that fans everywhere began wishing for a sequel. Yet for a long time, it seemed as though a sequel to this masterpiece was simply never going to happen.

That was until last year, when a sequel was finally announced, and now, the wait is over! Following on from the short teaser shown last November, we’ve now finally been given the official trailer for Incredibles 2!

Yet what exactly does the trailer tell us? Incredibles ended with the Parr family readying themselves to fight against a new villain, and as far as the trailer seems to show, the sequel is planning to continue from precisely that point. However, the ban on superheroes, announced in the first film, seems to be carrying on into the sequel, much to the outrage of the Parr children. Character favourite Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) however, proposes a solution, putting Mr Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) and Elastigirl (Holly Hunter) in touch with a tycoon who wants to bring superheroes back, via the exploits of Elastigirl.

Yet the story does not seem as though it will focus on Elastigirl, and her heroic exploits, in the same way that the first film focused on Mr Incredible’s heroic acts, and the later heroic actions of the family as a whole. Instead, the plot will focus on Mr Incredible/Bob Parr’s attempts at parenthood, as he raises the couple’s super-powered children, Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack, to give Elastigirl the freedom to pursue her own heroic career.

“I doubt any other parent has ever had to deal with a teleporting baby that turns into a little red monster when denied cookies. At least, not literally.”

Although only short, this trailer certainly gives us a lot of information as to what to expect from the upcoming film. Not only does it seem to be a fantastic subversion of stereotypical gender roles, but it will allow us to see a whole new side of the heroic lifestyle – parenthood, aptly dubbed by Edna Mode (Brad Bird) as “a heroic act” in itself (“when done properly”).

Rather than weight-lifting train carriages, and lifting cars, we’ll instead see Bob Parr struggle with Maths homework and trying to put a far-from-tired baby to sleep, without falling asleep himself. Though I doubt any other parent has ever had to deal with a teleporting baby that turns into a little red monster when denied cookies. At least, not literally.

Sure to be filled with the same light-hearted comedy, wonderful one-liners (mainly delivered by Edna Mode) and heartfelt family moments of the first film, this is definitely a film to look out for when it premieres later this year. Personally, I can’t wait!

Premiering 13th July 2018 in the UK (according to IMDb), this incredible film is certainly not one to miss!

Georgia Butcher

Follow @ImpactMagazine on Twitter or like the Impact Entertainment Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.