Gender pay gap at the University of Nottingham above the national average, latest figures show

The gender pay gap at the University of Nottingham (UoN) is higher than the national average, the latest figures show.

The gender pay gap at the University stands at 23.6% in favour of men, compared to the national average of 18.4% as measured by the Office for National Statistics.

The figures, based on a snapshot of pay from the period between 1st April 2016 and 31st March 2017, also highlight that men were paid 53% more in bonuses than females on average.

In analysing the gender pay gap, the University’s report said: “There are more men in senior roles at the University, while at the same time there are more women in lower-level roles.

“The disparity in representation across the full range of roles at the University results in the gender pay gap.”

In 2017, the Government introduced legislation that made it statutory for organisations with 250 or more employees to report annually on their gender pay gap.

The gender pay gap shows the differences in the average pay between all men and women across the entire organisation. The Equal Pay Gap, in comparison, deals with the differences between men and women who carry out the same job.

“The gender pay gap remains in part due to the length of time senior male staff have been in post.”

The report on gender pay gap also said: “The proportion of female academics, including those in senior posts, is increasing. But the gender pay gap remains, in part due to the length of time senior male staff have been in post.

“These imbalances will reduce over time. In recent years the University has taken steps to equalise starting pay on promotion and to take proactive action on analysing, identifying and equalising historic gender salary imbalances.”

The report also published their figures for the distribution of gender spread across four evenly-sized quartiles based on wage. The staff in the lower quartile were 67% female, while staff in the upper quartile were 62% male staff.

In their report, the University also stated that the counterpoint to the imbalance of men at senior levels across the UK Higher Education is the lower proportion of male employees at junior level:

“Efforts to significantly reduce the gender pay gap need to focus on the imbalance at both junior and senior levels.”

In their statement accompanying the report, the University said: “We are confident that men and women are paid equally for doing work of equal value at the University and regularly carry out equal pay reviews to ensure this, most recently in 2017.”

“”We all recognise there is more to do and I want us to make the most of this opportunity.””

On the release of the report, Vice-Chancellor Shearer West said:

“The University of Nottingham is committed to treating all our people in a fair, inclusive and equal way, regardless of gender or any other protected characteristic. A diverse and inclusive workforce is not just good for women, it is good for everyone.

“Significant progress has been made in this area and we should be proud of that, but we all recognise there is more to do and I want us to make the most of this opportunity.

“Our ultimate aim must be to achieve equality across the University, for all staff at all levels. You have my commitment that the University will work hard to close this gap.”

Connor Higgs

Featured image courtesy of ‘Shamraze/Nuhaize’ via Flickr. License here

Follow @Impact News on Facebook.

• Robin thomas