Meet your 2018 SU Women’s Candidate

During our Students’ Union Elections Media Day on Saturday 24th February, we chatted to the candidate who is running to be elected as your Women’s Officer for the 2018-19 academic year. Take a look at what they had to say.

Ruby Harrison

Ruby is the current Women’s Officer and hopes to use a second year in the role to ‘carry on improving the student experience and making a difference.’ Ruby has been a member of UoN Feminists since her first year at the University of Nottingham and was Events Coordinator for the Women’s Network in 2016/17.

“Ruby aims to use her second year as Women’s Officer to improve the way the university responds to allegations of sexual harassment.”

In terms of what Ruby would like to change, Ruby insists that she is ‘dedicated to working with other networks to promote intersectionality within the Women’s Network.’ She also plans to ensure that the ‘University policy on pregnancy and childcare is properly followed, so that people who become pregnant… have a good experience and are given the best support available.’

Ruby also aims to use her second year as Women’s Officer to improve the way the university responds to allegations of sexual harassment and also ensure that there is a clear policy in place for the steps to be taken in the event of sexual harassment.

One key manifesto point as part of Ruby’s manifesto is also to implement the Ask for Angela scheme for all bars on campus, which allows women to alert someone if they feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

Connor Higgs

To read the manifesto for your Women’s Officer candidate, head to the Student Leader Elections website.

Featured image: Poppy Anne Malby

Follow our SU Elections 2018 coverage on Twitter and Facebook

NewsSU Elections