UoN Hindu Soc’s Holi on the Downs: “Encapsulated the true Holi spirit”

On 8th June, UoN’s Hindu Society held their famous annual “Holi on the Downs” celebration and it was one filled with lots of laughs! Initially I was slightly reluctant to go as I was sceptical of whether this university event could truly capture the essence of Holi. Having Indian heritage, I have always been wary of the western appropriation of my beautiful culture and I thought this might just be another such sham. However, I am thrilled to say that it was the complete opposite and totally encapsulated the true Holi spirit of love, frolic and colours. 

Traditionally, Holi is a festival celebrated to honour the Hindu gods, Krishna and Vishnu. Celebrated at the end of winter and the arrival of spring, it marks the start of new beginnings, but also signifies the victory of good over evil. It is an opportunity for people to reunite, laugh and play and that’s exactly what the Hindu Society brought to us.

“It honestly cannot get better than tackling a mate and drowning them in colour with dramatic Honey Singh playing in the background”

Tickets are cheap and throughout the day, students covered each other in coloured powder and water, whilst dancing along to a live DJ playing classic Bollywood hits. It honestly cannot get better than tackling a mate and drowning them in colour with dramatic Honey Singh playing in the background. To top it all off, there was an amazing Indian food truck serving hot samosas, chilli fries and more of such Indian goodness. After loading up on those lousy ready-meals during exams, the food was a real treat!

Jahnavi and friends at Holi on the Downs 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the day and was grateful to see how so many students of the university all came together to celebrate, regardless of race, nationality, age or degree. It wonderfully exemplified the purpose of Holi; to welcome everyone in celebrating how good prevails over evil. As one student once said, “on the day of Holi everyone is one”. 

“It is the perfect time to celebrate post-exam season with sun, colour and fun.”

It is clear to see why the UoN summer festival has won awards as it is the perfect time to celebrate post-exam season with sun, colour and fun. I urge anyone studying here next year to go along and enjoy the festival experience of unity. You definitely won’t regret it.

A huge thank you to the Hindu Society for hosting one of the most anticipated events of the year and executing it with such great organisation and care. It marked the end of exams and the beginning of what promises to be an amazing summer!

Jahnavi Yadav

Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

Featured image courtesy of Steven Gerner‘via Flickr. Image License found here. No changes made to this image.

In- article images courtesy of Jahnavi Yadav.

FeaturesHappening on Campus