Climate Crisis and the Environment

Lush’s New Sustainable Line

Amidst a rising awareness about the environmental and social impact of many of the products we use regularly, sustainability has evolved into a key consideration for global corporations who are concerned about their position in an age of ethical consumerism.

Lush has been pioneering in this regard since they were founded in 1995, and most people are no doubt familiar with at least one their successful campaigns, ranging from social justice to environmental conservation. It is no surprise that these ethics are rooted within the beliefs of the brand and the people who work there. Lush continues to question what it means to be regarded as an ethical retailer, arguing that ‘all business should be ethical and all trade should be fair’.

“They have developed a new range of vegan, environmentally friendly foundations.”

This brings me to their new endeavour, the Lush Slap Sticks Solid Foundations. Anyone familiar with the brand will know that asides from bath bombs, they have been producing a small line of makeup products for a few years, predominantly skin tints, mascara, and eyeliners. But as a brand that strives to innovate, they have developed a new range of vegan, environmentally friendly foundations that aim to not only deliver a product that is ethical and sustainable, but also of a high quality.

Their new line boasts an inclusive 40 shades comprising of three undertones, cool, warm, and neutral, with the aim of complementing all complexions. In keeping with the company’s fresh handmade policy, the ingredient list is also largely organic, while safe synthetics and preservatives are kept to a minimum, all of which can be found easily on their website.

The foundation itself also has a super hydrating formula, comprised of 45 percent coconut oil, Argan oil, and Peruvian jojoba oil, with just 14 percent pigment, which I found to deliver a medium but buildable coverage.

“Due to the richness of the ingredients, the product itself feels high-end and yet surprisingly lightweight on the skin.”

Due to the richness of the ingredients, the product itself feels high-end and yet surprisingly lightweight on the skin, which I would say is reflected in its price, retailing at £16.95. The price may also reflect Lush’s strong commitment to the communities and areas from which they buy their ingredients. Thus unsurprisingly children in education is the focus of the new makeup line, with 10 percent of profits from their purchase of coconut oil being used to fund literacy classes and a dentist on the Indonesian island of Nias.

They have also managed to eliminate the use of plastic packaging, a focus of many of their other products, including solid shampoo bars and shower gels, and as such, the solid foundation bar is instead contained within a natural black wax seal, complete with a recycled box for storage. An approach best justified by Lush co-founder Rowena Bird who argued ‘We need to look beyond fancy packaging, for Lush, it’s all about the product. How much do you care about what you’re putting onto your lips and on your skin? Come in, have a look and save the planet’.

“It’s nice to see such a large cooperation consistently raising awareness for environmental and human issues.”

Unfortunately, for now, the Slap Sticks are only available through Lush Labs online and if you’re wanting to try one you do have to match yourself using their online system, which can be tricky. But nevertheless, it’s nice to see such a large cooperation consistently raising awareness for environmental and human issues, while advocating for a change in the way we orientate our behaviour and systems around a sustainable lifestyle, making it a bit easier for us all to be more ethical consumers.

Ella Morton

Featured image courtesy of ‘Kristian Fagerström’ via Flickr, no changes made to image. Image licence can be found here

Article image courtesy of Lush’s Official Facebook page. 

If you would like to write for Impact Lifestyle drop us an email at lifestyle@impactnottingham.com.

To keep up to date follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

Climate Crisis and the EnvironmentLifestyleScience