Climate Crisis and the Environment

Sustainability in Make-Up Products

Victoria talks us through whether we should care more about what we wear on our face.

Additive Free. Locally sourced. Gluten Free. Vegan. Organic. We have never been more obsessed with what we put in our bodies and where it comes from, but what about the things we put on our bodies?

With sustainable clothing and food becoming well established over the past few years, sustainable makeup is slowly gaining more attention. The whole concept revolves around cosmetics that are kind to the environment. From the materials used to create them, to the production behind them and how they are disposed of after- people are becoming more conscious of the sustainability of make-up products.

“Palm oil is an ingredient used in everything from lipsticks to moisturisers.”

Palm oil is an ingredient used in everything from lipsticks to moisturisers. However, palm oil is also one of the major contributors to deforestation, and consequently the extinction of many animals.

Companies such as Axiology are committed to not using palm oil or palm oil derivatives in their products. They are promoting donations to the Orangutan Foundation International to help the species. LUSH is another company who have completely removed palm oil from their products, and have replaced palm oil with more earth friendly oils, and currently 89% of their packaging is from recycled content.

How the products are made is also just as important as what goes into them. Vapour Organic uses passive solar daylighting and wind power in their labs, offices and warehouses. As if this wasn’t enough, the packaging of the products is made from aluminium or glass, which are both recyclable materials!

“The Body Shop is one of the most common, and affordable, sustainable brands on the market.”

The Body Shop is one of the most common, and affordable, sustainable brands on the market. In 2016 they launched their ‘Enrich Not Exploit’ campaign, with the aim being to become the world’s most ethical and sustainable business.

Another great option to reduce packaging is to refill your oils, lotions, shampoo and conditioner bottles at ‘Package Free’ shops. While these aren’t everywhere yet, a quick google will soon show you where your nearest ones are (and it usually works out cheaper than buying new bottles every month!).

If you can’t find a shop, some companies also sell refills, such as Kjaer Weis. Once you have bought their original metal cased product, from then on you can buy refills that simply pop in the empty one! If you do have empty pots or tins that can’t be recycled, instead of simply throwing them into the bin try to find alternative uses for them – plant pots, pencil holders or filling them with glitter all make cute and original interior decoration ideas.

“Look for the Leaping Bunny logo”

Understandably, you might not have heaps of time to do research into a brand while you’re shopping, but a quick check on the back of a product can also tell you a lot. Look for the Leaping Bunny logo (showing that the product was not tested on animals), the Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance logos (guaranteeing that the ingredients have been sustainably sourced), and of course the recycling logo.

When it comes to removing your makeup, switching from disposable to organic cotton pads is one of the easiest changes you can make. Simply pour a little organic coconut or olive oil onto the pad, swipe around your face and then wash the pads once they’re dirty!

Hopefully this gives you an insight into the small changes that you can make that are better for your own skin, the lives of those who make them, and the environment.

Victoria Hornagold

Featured image courtesy of Christopher A. Dominic via Flickr, no changes made to the image. Image license can be found here.

For more Lifestyle Articles follow Impact Magazine on Facebook and Twitter. 

Climate Crisis and the EnvironmentLifestyleScienceStyle