Advice

Dear Agony Aunt: I’m broke and still need to buy Christmas presents…

Dear Auntie Carol,

Any cheap Christmas present ideas for family? I’m strapped for cash and need some inspo.

Dear reader…

You know, Channel 4 originally asked ME to do their Christmas special. Yes, that’s right – Kirstie’s Handmade Christmas was originally meant to be Carol’s Handmade Christmas! But I had to say, ‘No, Channel 4, NO – I’m already booked at Impact Magazine!’ So, I recommended my gal pal Kirstie Allsopp, instead. I taught Kirstie everything she knows. Before me, they called her Kirstie NOsopp.

1. Top Trumps #ad

What you will need: pens, paper/card, scissors (no running), glue (no sniffing).

Everyone loves a card game – especially at Christmas! And Top Trumps #ad are SO easy to make. Choose a topic (e.g. Nottingham nightclubs). Decide on your content (e.g. Ocean, PomPom, Rock City) and categories (e.g. music, prices, bouncers). Get them on cards. You’re a genius!

1. Photoshoot

What you will need: a camera, access to a printer, a passion for fashion.

This is a perfect gift for a parent (make it wholesome) or a significant other (make it sexy). I know for a FACT that any of my nearest and dearest would be thrilled with a personalised Carol photoshoot. Release your inner Cindy, Naomi AND Kate and make love to the camera. If you want to go the whole Allsopp, make it into a calendar! Possible props include: pets, siblings, Brattitude.

1. Afternoon tea

What you will need: tea, sandwiches, cake, a film.

“Pour the tea; get the Nice Cups out. Make some sandwiches; cut the crusts off. Buy a cheap cake; pretend that you baked it”

This idea is more about making a MOMENT happen. Pour the tea; get the Nice Cups out. Make some sandwiches; cut the crusts off. Buy a cheap cake; pretend that you baked it. Don’t forget to put it on your Snapchat story so everyone knows what an excellent gift giver you are!

Alexa, play ‘Give Me All Ur Luvin’’.

Christmas is the time of giving. Let me give some advice and ask me a question here!

Auntie Carol

Featured image courtesy of Pete via Flickr. No changes were made to this image. Image license found here.

Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

AdviceColumnsFeatures