Which Chick Flick Do You Relate to Most? (PART 1 OF 2)

Ariana Grande’s music video for her latest single ‘Thank U, Next’ has gained much attention recently. Not only does she empower herself and her fans through reflecting on past relationships in a positive way, she has incorporated some of our favourite chick flicks into the video. This has encouraged Impact Features writers to look back on what chick flick they would be cast in for relating to the most. For the first of two separate parts, here are the chick flicks we relate to most…

1. Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging

There’s no doubt my enthusiasm for themed costumes matches that of Georgia Nicholson. I may not have ever dressed as an hors d’oeuvre but I was once famously a clown fish at a friend’s Disney-themed party. Before you suggest that my 4-year-old self must have made an adorable orange blob, let me tell you that I was about 14 at the time so it wasn’t quite so cute! However, there’s a brighter side to being the real-life Georgia Nicholson. On a whim, I once asked Andy Hoe if he’d let me decorate Ocean for my 21st. To my surprise, he agreed. A few weeks later, my friends and I painted the club pink with balloons, posters fluorescent banners and seemingly-endless rolls of pink ribbon. It’s safe to say it was an unforgettable birthday!

– Georgina Pittman

2. When Harry Met Sally

‘When Harry Met Sally’ is probably one of the chick-flicks I can relate to most. It is a story which narrates the tale of two college friends who ‘accidentally’ become romantically involved, much to their initial distress. This is, incidentally, how my boyfriend and I got together. The relationship between Harry and Sally, at first, is uncomplicated and very binary- Harry is very much a typical ‘guy’, and Sally is of a sweet disposition, if not a bit conservative and not particularly adventurous. They travel to New York together, go their separate ways, and bump into each other again ten years later. The two become entangled in a strange sort of romance that they both try to avoid, as they fear that it might ruin their friendship.

After a turbulent period filled with unplanned romantic interludes, regret, confusion, longing, and a recognised attempt at self-restraint, Harry finally can’t take it anymore and professes his love for Sally on New Year’s Eve. Happily, this is where the film ends, and in a similar way, this is how it worked out for me. I have to say, I can relate to the characters; the process which led to the official establishment of my relationship was equally baffling and complicated, and I am glad to say that a year on, we are still together and the risk to our friendship paid off!

– Isla Weir

3. The Letter to Three Wives

The main thing I took away from watching The Letter to Three Wives is that happiness in romance comes in all shapes and forms, and sometimes we can find out that we don’t know what is going to make us happy. For example, a marriage of convenience that Lora Mae (one of the three protagonists) planned as a way to save her family from poverty and raise themselves in social status ends up being the most precious and dear thing in her life as she realises she loves her husband only when there’s a chance she might lose him.

Rita, another protagonist, works through the issues she and her husband have by realising that she deserves better treatment than that of her employer, and her husband’s love is something she can rely on. Deborah, the third protagonist, learns to fight her insecurities and trust her husband and her friends and rely on them when needed.

Although a little archaic, the message of the movie can be interpreted in any ways, but mainly in that our happiness is what we make it. Sometimes we just need to trust that things will work out the way they are supposed to.

-Kateryna Vine

4. The Devil Wears Prada

The chick flick that most closely relates to my life is the iconic The Devil Wears Prada. How does this have anything to do with me, you might ask? Well, I am the determined and questionably fashionable Andy Sachs, played by Anne Hathaway, Runway magazine represents my hopes and dreams, and Miranda Priestly (Meryl Streep in her best role) represents university, which is constantly testing my patience and mental strength.

But it’s all not all doom, gloom, and dressing rooms. Like Andy, I plunged head-first into uni with only a little experience to my name, and quickly figured out that to survive the demands of university life, I had to believe in myself. Now, I am coming out of it (I say, not even halfway through my final year) in one piece, more fashionable and resilient than ever before, having learned to ‘gird my loins’ and accomplish what I thought impossible.

-Esme Johnson

Shanai Momi, Georgina Pittman, Isla Weir, Kateryna Vine, Esme Johnson

Featured image courtesy of Just Entertainment via Flickr. No changes were made to this image. Image license found here.

Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.