Beauty

Fashion and Beauty: Trend Predictions for 2019

It’s a new year, it’s a new season, and it’s time for Impact to give some predictions on the fashion and beauty trends for 2019. Time will tell if we see any of these on campus this year!

1) Layering

Runways were filled with designs featuring a multitude of layers, with Balenciaga’s nine layers perfect for far north of the Arctic Circle. Layering is an autumn/winter fashion staple, of course, but it is being taken up a notch this season with clashing colours and a variation of textures and prints. Florals and animal prints are easy to layer with solid blocks of colour for an interesting look.

2) Neon

Commonly associated with some of the more extreme Japanese streetwear, or perhaps Ali G, neon was an undercurrent throughout the autumn/winter season and it looks like it will really take off in the coming months. Neon accessories and neon eye makeup are an easy way to follow this trend without looking like a traffic cone, but catwalks and high street stores are making it easy to don a bright yellow jacket and matching trousers if you so desire.

3) Ethical brands

People seem to be becoming more and more conscious about the practices of their favourite brands. Whether it is ensuring your makeup has not been tested on animals or checking that the people who make your clothes are getting a fair wage, 2019 looks to be the year when ethical brands really begin to jump into the mainstream. Check out Kateryna’s article on ethical brands to learn more and get some recommendations.

4) Parkas

It is likely that you have seen the international students and their ankle-grazing bench parkas, and plenty of others on campus in puffy down jackets. They are not just for mountaineers anymore, but are quickly become a comfortable and fashionable piece for your wardrobe. You can easily find them online, but also check out stores like Trespass to get a coat that can really withstand the rain.

5) Suits

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpZoPr7ifg9/

There have been plenty of discussions about the upcoming suit trend. If done wrong (or right?) suits can make you look like a Wall Street banker or a politician, but they are undoubtedly a statement piece. Whether it is a blazer from a charity shop or a professional ensemble from M&S or Next, suits are going to be huge in 2019. Make it casual by pairing it with a basic tee and trainers, or go full-out business wear with a crisp shirt. Have a look at Miriam’s article to get advice from a female Saville Row tailor!

6) Healthy skin

2018 was the year of natural, healthy looks, with a huge focus placed on skincare to give your face a beautiful glow. 2019 looks no different, and with the skincare industry being worth a huge $11 billion last year, it is a trend that is more than just a fad. Makeup-wise, minimal coverage is the way forward, but keep a look out for a wide array of colours for the eyes and lips. With spring on its way, perhaps it is time to try out a bold lip or a pastel eye to brighten up the dreary January days.

7) Hair accessories

Forget bold haircuts and bright hair colours, 2019 is the year for hair accessories. Whether it is a strategically-placed trio of bobby pins or a rose gold headband, there is an unlimited array of ways to style your hair that do not require much styling know-how. Dior and Miu Miu both showcased an affinity for hairbands on their spring/summer 2019 runways and we think it’s going to be big in the coming months.

Esme Johnson

Featured Image courtesy of @classy.vision.outfit via Instagram.

Main Article Images courtesy of @luna.street@amandaliza_ and @hidemycoat via Instagram.

BeautyFashionFashionLifestyleStyleStyle News