The University of Nottingham’s History Festival

Fred Lloyd-Williams talks about all that there is to do at UoN's History Festival.

Ever wondered what medieval people ate and what it tasted like? Think you would have had what it took to have been recruited into the Roman army? How far back can the concept of “Fake News” be traced?

“The History Festival, 10th April, promises to be an exceptionally engaging event for everyone”

The University of Nottingham sees a very exciting opportunity for everyone to get involved in history. The History Festival, 10th April, promises to be an exceptionally engaging event for everyone. All sorts of events are happening at the Humanities building starting from 1pm.

Special guest lecturers, renowned in their field, are giving talks and leadings workshops throughout the day with topics ranging from medieval book burning and 14th century global travels to the impact of the Civil Wars in the East Midlands and the experience of Italian soldiers in the Second World War. In addition to this, there are numerous experiences that should not be missed, such as finding out about the food in the Middle Ages where you can sample some of the recipes that sustained those in the centuries before us.

“an entertaining and fascinating exploration of the ways in which the First World War touched the lives of those who lived in Nottingham.”

Furthermore, at Manuscripts and Special Collections on King’s Meadow Campus you can learn to read and decipher what was written by those hundreds of years ago. You can also join Dr Ross Wilson’s guided walk starting on campus ad moving into the city which promises to be an entertaining and fascinating exploration of the ways in which the First World War touched the lives of those who lived in Nottingham.

There are many other events such as a cross-campus treasure hunt, the University of Nottingham Museum’s travelling exhibition, pop-up stands and a book sale! Make sure to book the festival in your diary and head to the Humanities building on campus, even if it’s just to see what’s going on.

Check out the Facebook event and follow the festival on twitter (@UoNHistFest) for more information and to find the full programme.

Fred Lloyd-Williams

Featured image courtesy of Kristen Menecola via Flickr. Image license found here.

Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.