Short Break Itinerary: Barcelona

If you are looking for a short break, let me recommend Barcelona, Spain as the perfect place, where I recently spent four days.

The city is perfect for anyone; whether your passion is architecture, historical buildings, beaches, football or just shopping, it can satisfy your needs. Even if you spend a couple days here just to relax it won’t let you down.

“Despite the city’s popularity, accommodation choices are still varied”

Barcelona is a big city with an incredibly well-planned public transportation system, making it ideal for those who don’t have access to a car. However, I suggest that rather than venturing too far, you stay in the main area.

Despite the city’s popularity, accommodation choices are still varied, ranging from expensive hotels to some high-quality yet affordable hidden gems for backpackers.

The main benefit of staying in the central city is that the majority of tourist spots are within walking distance. Not only will this save you money, it could also prevent having items stolen, with pickpocketing from tourists (particularly on public transport) becoming an increasing problem.

“If you don’t want to walk around the city, I would recommend that you rent a bike, electrical scooter or electrical Segway”

Some of the go-to attractions include La Rambla (which has plenty of shops), Casa Mila, Familia Sagrada and Park Güell – an attraction that I would recommend you put at the top of your to-do list!

If you don’t want to walk around the city, I would recommend that you rent a bike, electrical scooter or electrical Segway – this mode of transport is really cheap and can be rented for the whole day.

“Finding a famous restaurant is not a difficult task – but don’t waste your time queueing for a seat”

There are rentals and returning points all over the city, so you don’t need to worry about returning the transport to the same point you took it from. Additionally, since you have the total control of the transport, you can tailor your day to your interests without being worried about bus or metro schedules.

This option will save you time and most importantly, you can enjoy the view while you travel!

“These places will surprise you not only with their tastes but also with their prices”

If you are looking for somewhere to eat in Barcelona, finding a famous restaurant is not a difficult task – but don’t waste your time queueing for a seat. Surrounding eateries frequented by tourists are some little restaurants that are far more popular among the locals. These places will surprise you not only with their tastes but also with their prices!

I also recommend that you go to the market: the food there is fresh, affordable and there is a huge variety of choice that will satisfy any palate.

With these places, modes of transport and eateries, you can make the most of your short break in Barcelona!

Charlotte Leung

Featured image courtesy of Chris Yunker via Flickr. Image licence found here. No changes were made to the image. 

If you would like to write Travel articles for Impact Lifestyle drop us an email at lifestyle@impactnottingham.com. Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

LifestylePlacesTravel