Interviews

Meet the Candidates 2021: Jennifer Rai for BME Students’ Officer

Safa Shahid

Jennifer Rai is running in the 2021 SU elections for the role of BME Students’ Officer. Impact’s Safa Shahid caught up with Jennifer to ask her a few questions. 

What do you think makes you a good fit for this role? 

I stand for ensuring BME students’ views are fairly represented at Nottingham and for the BME community to be appreciated and celebrated. I feel passionate about enabling the BME community at Nottingham to access a whole host of different opportunities to not only enhance their academic potential, but also to boost their future career prospects.

BME students need a voice so their concerns can be acted upon

Why did you run for the role of BME Students’ Officer? 

BME students need a voice that can allow for them to be heard and their concerns to be acted upon. It is very important that students feel safe and secure within the community and this is my utmost priority.

Has the pandemic amplified any issues? What are they and how do you aim to address them?

The pandemic has meant that it is harder for students to access support and help because this has to primarily be done online. I aim to address this by foregrounding the ways that students can access support- not only for their academic wellbeing, but more importantly for their mental health, as this is paramount.

BME identity and success need further representation within mainstream university life

Despite positive action for minority groups, there is a growing sense of BME identity being under-represented in mainstream university life, as well as an attainment gap of 13% between white students and BME students. What are you proposing to do to further support BME students at the university to achieve more?

I plan to organise careers events where BME professionals are able to inspire students to achieve their full potential. Seeing former Nottingham BME students achieving success allows current students to gain motivation and seek advice about their future. BME identity and success need further representation within mainstream university life and I will endeavour to allow this to happen.

Q5: COVID permitting, Ocean or Rock City? 

Rock City, cannot beat it!

Voting for the 2021 SU elections closes at 3 pm Friday 19 March. The link to vote is here.

Safa Shahid

Featured image courtesy of Chiara Crompton. No changes were made to this image. 

To keep up to date with all the latest Impact News, you can also follow us on the Impact News’ Facebook and Twitter page.

InterviewsNewsSU Elections