Prince Andrew And Giuffre Settlement

Daisy Torrington

Earlier this week The Duke of York, Prince Andrew, settled the sexual assault case filed against him by Virginia Giuffre. Giuffre initially made the allegations against the Prince and Ghislaine Maxwell in 2015, when she claimed that the two had trafficked her when she was 17 and forced her to have sex with Prince Andrew. In August 2021, Giuffre filed a lawsuit against the Royal, claiming that he was aware that she was underage when he trafficked and assaulted her. Impact‘s Daisy Torrington reports on the Prince Andrew settlement.

Prince Andrew will not be required to give evidence in trial and makes no admission of guilt over the allegations

Following a tumultuous few months, the Duke of York has reached an out-of-court settlement, the sum of which is unknown but is believed to be above £10 million. The settlement furthers that Andrew would make considerable donations to Giuffre’s charity that supports women’s rights.

This settlement will mean that Prince Andrew will not be required to give evidence in trial and makes no admission of guilt over the allegations. He maintains complete deniability over claims that he had any form of sexual relationship with Giuffre when she was a teenager. Both the Duke’s legal team and Buckingham Palace have refused to comment on the issue, however last month the Queen removed Andrew of his royal patronages, military title and his official use of his ‘His Royal Highness’ title. This move distanced The Royal Family from the case and the controversy associated with it.

The settlement has largely been regarded as a victory for Giuffre

The great expected sum of the settlement has led to many people demanding to know where the money is coming from to pay it. With concern that it will be publicly funded by taxpayers, due to the amount of taxpayer money that goes to The Royal Family either directly or indirectly.  

The settlement has largely been regarded as a victory for Giuffre and a relief to The Royal Family, who wanted to avoid the publicity that would be associated with a court trial.

The settlement comes amidst the continued case of Ghislaine Maxwell, who is still waiting to be sentenced following a high profile court case that ended last month.

Daisy Torrington

Featured image courtesy of The Open University via Flickr. Image licence found here. No changes were made to this image.

For more content including Uni News, Reviews, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Features and so much more, follow us on Twitter and Instagram, and like our Facebook page for more articles and information on how to get involved.

To keep up to date with all the latest Impact News, you can also follow us on Impact News’ Facebook and Twitter page.

Breaking NewsNews