New Releases Roundup – nothing,nowhere., Liam Gallagher, Charli XCX ft Rina Sawayama and Knuckle Puck

Gemma Cockrell and Kiah Tooke

Gemma Cockrell and Kiah Tooke review the latest releases from nothing,nowhere., Liam Gallagher, Charli XCX ft Rina Sawayama and Knuckle Puck.

nothing,nowhere. – Sledgehammer (Gemma)

Even though it has only been a year since he released ‘Trauma Factory’, nothing,nowhere. is back with new track Sledgehammer. It samples his most popular track hammer, interpolating the chorus of his 2018 hit to produce a modern, updated version of the track – as he says himself, “years go by and I’m still droppin’ hammers”. The track leans more towards the sounds of that era of his music, with trap hi-hats and percussion layered over an acoustic guitar instrumental. It is a refreshing return to his roots, and even though he vowed on Twitter that he would never rap again in his music, this now seems unlikely if he is taking his sound back in this direction. 

Liam Gallagher – Everything’s Electric (Gemma)

First it was She’s Electric, now Everything’s Electric. Following his standalone track All You’re Dreaming Of in December 2020, Liam Gallagher is back with a new single, co-written by Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl. It will be the lead single from his eagerly-awaited third solo album ‘C’mon You Know’. The song has a strong and powerful guitar riff, which is unsurprising since it takes influence from Beastie Boys’ 1994 track Sabotage and the Rolling Stones’ 1969 song Gimme Shelter, which are both known for their iconic guitar riffs. The track is one of Gallagher’s best, and received its live debut at the 2022 Brit Awards. 

Charli XCX ft. Rina Sawayama – Beg For You (Kiah)

BBC Radio 1 named Beg For You their hottest record

Pop icon Charli XCX has teamed up with Rina Sawayama for her newest single Beg For You. This new song will feature on Charli’s next album ‘Crash’, which is due to be released March 2022. Beg For You interpolates September’s 2006 hit Cry for You, offering a nostalgic mid-200s sound which works well with Charli’s signature hyperpop sound. BBC Radio 1 named Beg For You their hottest record, with Charli sharing ‘’it made me feel extremely nostalgic but also euphoric and there’s that garage kind of vibe” on Radio 1. The collaboration was first revealed on TikTok by Charli a few weeks before the single was released, with fans highly anticipating the pair working together.

Knuckle Puck – Lonely Island (Kiah)

Knuckle Puck have returned with their latest EP ‘Disposable Life’, with Lonely Island being track four. This marks the first release of the band since their latest album ‘20/20’. It is also their first EP since 2014’s ‘While I Stay Secluded’, often seen as a fan favourite. Holding onto their energetic pop punk style, Lonely Island discusses loneliness, obviously, but also the feeling of not being reconciled with the past. The EP as a whole offers a cleaner sound from Knuckle Puck, with Lonely Island having a catchy and punchy chorus that makes it my favourite track from the EP. ‘Disposable Life’ is Knuckle Puck’s first release since signing to Wax Bodega records, starting their new era in their career on a high point. 

Gemma Cockrell and Kiah Tooke

Featured image courtesy of Nina via Flickr. Image license found here. No changes made to this image.

In-article images courtesy of @nothingnowhere via instagram.com. No changes made to these images.

To listen to all of these tracks, check out the New Releases Roundup playlist on Spotify.

If you can’t get enough of Impact Reviews, follow us on Twitter and Instagram and like our Facebook page for updates on our new articles.