Trailer Watch – The Legend of Tarzan

Since directing the final four films of the Harry Potter franchise, David Yates will be returning to the Wizarding World at the end of this year, with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. But before that, it look’s like we’ll have to suffer through The Legend of Tarzan – the latest attempt at adapting the tale of a supposedly ‘refined’ man (played by Alexander Skarsgård) returning to the land in which he was raised, only to become embroiled in what appears to be a rather complicated plot… 

From this trailer, several things are brought to our attention: Samuel L. Jackson confirms that the main character of The Legend of Tarzan is, in fact, called Tarzan. Christoph Waltz reminds us that, as in most period pieces, if a man has a moustache, he’s not to be trusted. And finally, if you want to cover up a questionable CGI job, just add a whole lot of fog and smoke.

Despite all of that, the trailer does showcase some epic shots of buffalo stampedes, suave tree-swinging and video game-esque action sequences. Throw in a conflicted hero, battling between his animalistic instincts and the dignified persona he’s meant to be maintaining, and it could be enough to salvage this, otherwise seemingly generic, adventure film.

The Legend of Tarzan will be swinging into UK cinemas on 8th July.

Sarah Quraishi

Have something to say? Let us know on Twitter, or leave a comment below

Click here for more Trailer Watch

• Michael D Sellers