Winter Warming Recipes

With the imminent cold approaching and our freezing student housing, we thought we would arm you with some quick and easy recipes that will be sure to warm you from the inside out. We can’t guarantee it’ll beat mum’s cooking, but it’ll be the next best thing.

Mumma Tam’s Lasagne

My freezer is always equipped with at least 3 homemade lasagnes, perfect for when you don’t feel like cooking but also feel like something homely. I’ve used jars for the Bolognese and white sauces simply because they’re quick and easy, we are students after all, we don’t always have the time to make a 3 part meal. Recipes for these sauces are numerous and so easy to find on the internet if you want to make your own at home.

15126172_10211473239214457_243010000_o

Ingredients:

1 Onion

2 cloves of Garlic

500g Minced beef

1 jar Bolognese Sauce

Salt and pepper (to taste)

1 pack Egg Sheets

1 jar White Sauce (or Béchamel sauce, for any lasagne connoisseurs)

250g Cheddar Cheese

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  1. Dice and fry the onion and garlic in a medium sized pan until brown and soft.
  1. Add minced beef and break it up into small chunks, cook until brown all over.
  1. Now tip the Bolognese sauce in and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  1. Ladle a layer of sauce into a medium sized oven-proof dish then lay one egg sheet over it.
  1. Spoon white sauce to cover the egg sheet completely.
  1. Repeat step 4 and 5 until the dish is full.
  1. Sprinkle with as much cheese as you like – depending on how addicted you are.
  1. Place into oven and cook for 30 minutes.

SOME TOP TIPS:

– First: don’t waste your Bolognese sauce! Add a small amount of water (and I mean really small, or else you’ll end up having to reduce your sauce for a while) to the jar, swirl it around, and pour the remainder into the pan.

– Second: remember to keep an eye on the dish nearing the 25 minute mark. Some ovens, I have learnt the hard way, burn your food quicker than others.

– Third: avoid the temptation to eat all the cheese while cooking.

Apple Crumble  

This is a classic British pudding, it’s really simple to make and even simpler to demolish in one sitting. Perfect when served with custard, ice cream or double cream.

15145277_10211473238814447_815496320_o

Ingredients:

For the filling:

2 Bramley apples

2 tbsp golden caster sugar

1 tbsp cinnamon

OR

1 can of tinned fruit

For the crumble:

175 plain flour

100g golden caster sugar

110g butter

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 200C and prepare a square or rectangle oven-proof dish and set aside
  2. Slice apples to 1cm thickness then add to an oven dish with the sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
  3. Mix flour and sugar in a bowl, slice in the butter and rub with your fingertips until you get a breadcrumb-like consistency.
  4. Pour crumble over the apples and even it out with a fork.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes if the apples are uncooked, if they’re from a tin then 20 minutes will do. Look for a golden brown finish.
  6. Let it sit for 10 minutes before you dive in. Serve with a dollop of custard or ice cream for the ultimate comfort feeling.

MORE TOP TIPS:

• Try not to leave any gaps when placing the apples or the crumble will fall through!
  • Use brown sugar if you’re looking for a rich, caramelized taste

Serena Tam

Images and Featured image taken by Serena Tam

FoodRecipes