Friday Five-Way: 13th September

After England’s successful international break, league football returns this weekend and we continue with our Five-Way, brought to you this week by James Hirst…

Sunderland vs. Tottenham Hotspur – Saturday 13th September – 15:00 KO

Prediction: AWAY WIN

Odds : 15/13

Spurs are looking for a return to winning ways after being humbled by Liverpool before the international break. Prior to that slip though, Pochettino’s side have looked strong in the new season, putting four past QPR and three past APOEL in Europe without reply. This Tottenham side actually looks like it’s playing the kind of football many fans expected following the influx of new players in the wake of Gareth Bale’s war chest-inducing move to Madrid, quick and creative but with a strong spine for solid possession retention. And then there’s Sunderland. Against the same opposition, QPR, Sunderland looked poor in a 1-0 defeat. Spurs pack more of a challenge on their trip to the North East and should be winning this game comfortably – AWAY WIN.

This Tottenham side actually looks like it’s playing the kind of football many fans expected.

West Bromwich Albion vs. Everton – Saturday 13th September – 15:00 KO

Prediction: AWAY WIN

Odds: 6/5

This match should be more of a contest and offers to be an entertaining game whether you’ve got money riding on it or not. Both sides are better on paper than they’ve looked on the pitch so far this season, and both lack the strength in defence to shut down the opposition so we can expect goals. Everton have shipped ten goals in their opening three matches, but they’ve managed to score seven of their own without securing a victory. Against Arsenal they looked decent, before being blown out of the water by Chelsea. Consistency doesn’t look to be a strong suit with Martinez’s side, but punters can take solace from Steven Naismith’s form early in this campaign; the ex-Rangers striker has scored in each of his side’s three matches and it’s safe to back him to do the same at West Brom – AWAY WIN.

Birmingham City vs. Leeds United  Saturday 13th September – 12:15 KO

Prediction: AWAY WIN

Odds: 13/5

The bottom end of the Championship will always offer the keen punter an opportunity to make some money. Right now, Birmingham look like low-hanging fruit with massive, juicy odds. That being said, neither of these sides have looked any good whatsoever – Birmingham seem incapable of scoring and Leeds are a rudderless ship anchored to the bottom half of the table. They’ve looked disorganised and uncoordinated thus far, and until a new manager is installed I wouldn’t expect that to change drastically. But even in their chaotic state, Leeds look capable of finding the net. That could be the difference on Saturday, and a narrow margin of victory looks on the cards with Leeds coming out on top by default – AWAY WIN. (That is, unless Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink does in fact take over, in which case back him to sub himself on at half time and score six…)

adryan_s4uxuydreiod1rhnj164j8qw2

Nottingham Forest vs. Derby County  Sunday 14th September – 13:15 KO

Prediction: HOME WIN

Odds: 6/4

Veering wildly away from a full house of away wins, let’s keep the picks interesting and pick one of Nottingham’s own sides to beat Derby in the…derby. Steve McLaren has Derby playing nicely and they’ve shown the ability to score freely this season when they get going, particularly in the 5-1 thumping of Fulham a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately for Derby fans, the international break has been cruel to them ahead of this weekends game, allowing Forest’s ranks times to recover from some long-standing knocks and potentially taking in-form striker Jamie Ward out of contention. The Northern Ireland international has bagged himself three goals so far this term but suffered an injury representing his country which may rule him out and leave Derby’s attack looking a little blunt. Forest go into this match seeking a fifth consecutive victory, and the return of David Vaughan and Kelvin Wilson should see them come out on top – HOME WIN.

BRAVEBET

Barnsley vs. MK Dons  Saturday 13th September – 15:00 KO

Prediction: HOME WIN

Odds: 31/20

A potential stretch here, but we have to think big to win big, and down in League One anything can happen. MK Dons have been getting some good results lately and a lot of attention after they turned over Manchester United in the League Cup but Barnsley still stand a good chance of getting a result at home. Milton Keynes go into this game without Kyle McFadzean – the centre-half signed from Crawley during the summer is suspended after being sent off playing against his former club and could be a key weak spot for the Dons. They could really feel the pinch on their starting eleven if Lee Hodson, Ben Reeves and Danny Green fail to pass fitness tests ahead of the game following their respective injuries too. Midfielder Darren Potter could also miss out, leaving manager Karl Robinson with a lot of holes to fill. If Barnsley’s ranks are back to full strength this weekend, then the Yorkshire club could capitalise on the Dons’ injury problems to grab three points and propel themselves towards the very early promotion race – HOME WIN.

If Barnsley’s ranks are back to full strength this weekend, then the Yorkshire club could capitalise on the Dons’ injury problems.

Those five selections at best prices are available at just over 105/1 right now, and although none of them are certainties to come away victorious over the weekend, there’s definite small stakes value here for an accumulator that could just be enough to keep you going until that loan comes in. Good luck, punters.

James Hirst

Are you getting in on this accumulator? Let us know, or share your own tips in the comments or on the Impact Sport Facebook page or via Twitter

21-year-old Ameri-Czech student of Politics & Economics at the University of Nottingham. Sports Editor @impactmagazine. FFC worshipper. European.