The Definitive UoN Freshers’ Dictionary

Going to university is a life changing experience, but here’s a quick guide to the most commonly used terms at our university to help you get used to the local lingo before you step foot on campus.

34/Y36

Two of the most important bus routes of your university life. A student fare is £1 one way and the bus runs between the city centre, Lenton and University Park Campus. Sardines in a tin cannot do justice to the sweaty, cramped conditions of this bus ride.

I’m so late, I’m getting the 34 this morning“.

Beeston

The West Entrance’s answer to Lenton. Home to the student staples; Poundland, Iceland and Lidl.

I live in Beeston mate, it’s great, I can roll out of bed and Lidl is right there. Quids in.”

BGP

Abbreviation for Broadgate Park (or Broadgate Palace). Home to over 2500+ students and one of the UK’s biggest student residencies.

No I don’t live on campus, I live in Broadgate. Who wants food cooked for them anyway?”

10892816784_dc91a90479_b

Campus 14 (Campus 13+1)

The most infamous (and banned) drinking challenge on University Park Campus. Tradition dictates that would-be challengers should consume one alcoholic beverage in the bar of every hall of residence. Many people do not survive past the 8th bar. A strong stomach and nerves of steel are required.

I’m such a weakling, I only got to Sherwood during Campus 14 and I was dead“.

Coates

One can find this architectural marvel near the East Entrance. More commonly referred to as the maze due to the seven entrances, countless miles of corridors and confusing signage. All of you will enter at some point in your university life; only a few will leave (alive).

Save me Joe please, send the troops, I’ve been in Coates for 2 days and I can’t find the exit. Help me!”

Hallward

The biggest library on University Park which is full of students come exam time (good luck finding a computer). Unfortunately, Hallward have been unable to fix their heating system for years. You’ll be sweating in summer and shivering in winter.

It’s so hot in here, why oh why won’t they just sort it out? I think I’m going to die in Hallward“.

67118758_813ec21455_b

Jubilee Campus

The architect that designed this campus certainly had fun with colours and shapes. The most quirky and brightly coloured university campus in existence.

What is this magical place? It’s Jubilee, mate“.

Karni Cocktail

This is one the local delicacies, courtesy of Karni (the Student Union’s Charity Organization). Recipes do vary, and usually involve at least 25+ ingredients. Buckets/sick bags are strongly recommended following a Karni cocktail.

I am never ever drinking a Karni cocktail in my life“.

Lenton

The student area. Lots of students move out of halls and into Lenton for their 2nd year and upwards. The best places in Lenton are the Savoy cinema and Sainsbury’s.

Where do you live now? I live in Lenton, of course“.

Mooch

The SU’s bar. It’s open all day every day and they have great deals on. A curry and a pint for £5? What more could you ask for?

Who’s getting the first round in at Mooch then?”

8560774716_cbcfe16f24_b

Ocean

The Big O is the only option on a Friday night. You had better be on your best behaviour when Andy Hoe (the proprietor) is about or you won’t be getting back in for the rest of your life.

Fancy a dip in the Big O on Friday? Hell to the yeah“.

Portland Hill

More commonly referred to as Hell. Located on University Park, and going uphill from the Lenton direction, if you’re heading onto campus for 9 a.m , your thighs will seriously hate you.

I hate this stupid hill, stupid hill, STUPID PORTLAND HILL“.

QMC

The biggest hospital in the UK right next the North Entrance and location of the Medical School. If for some unfortunate reason you should end up here, it is highly unlikely that you’ll be able to get out without some form of Hansel and Gretel breadcrumb trail or a treasure map.

Last night I ended up in the QMC. Such a top night“.

Rutland Hall

Officially the most hated hall in the university. No one really knows why, and no one really cares, but approach with severe caution.

*Chants are unrepeatable on the Impact website*

6673471881_bd5304395f_b

Sutton Bonington

One of the many university campuses. It’s a peculiar place where they milk cows and host farmers’ markets. Narnia is closer than this campus.

Where’s Sutton Bonington again? I honestly have no idea“.

Trent SU

Home to the bizarre creatures referred to as Nottingham Trent ‘students’. Approach with caution, preferably run away. Far Away.

I’m heading out to Trent SU tonight with some mates. YOU’RE DOING WHAT? We’re not friends anymore, traitor“.

Rag Raid

Another legendary university creation. Every week during the first term, all the halls of residence travel to a different city in the country in fancy dress raising money for charity. On the way home the madness ensues.

Are you going on a rag raid this weekend? Yeah mate, it’s Cowboys and Indians, can’t wait!”

Savoy Cinema

Simply the best cinema in Nottingham. Located on Derby Road, next to Sainsbury’s. This wonderful, decadent cinema is home to the cheapest cinema tickets in Nottingham and wonderful couple seats.

It’s Orange Wednesdays, who wants to go to the Savoy?”

Laic Carries the Puck Up Ice

Varsity

Meaning ‘inter-university’. Lots of different events are organised throughout the year culminating in the Nottingham Sports Varsity against Nottingham Trent. Get your Nottingham branded clothing and go and represent your uni.

Trent are going to lose this varsity match, their team is terrible“.

James Hewlett

Follow Impact on Facebook and Twitter.

Photo Credits: andreadg via Compfight cc, Lotus Carroll via Compfight cc, Toni Blay via Compfight cc, Ralph-Thompson via Compfight cc, uonottingham via Compfight cc, clydeorama via Compfight cc.