What’s At Your Uni? Women’s Rugby

Women’s rugby is on top of the world right now: having won the World Cup in Paris in August, it doesn’t get much better than that. The governing body of English rugby are now trying to use that momentum to build up women’s rugby and help more girls than ever to get involved. This support from England Rugby will be invaluable to teams like UoN’s, as it will encourage girls to start rugby at a younger age and thus bring in fresh talent to the University in future.

This past year saw relegation for UoNWRFC from the Premiership North after a tough two years battling it out with the best of the best. Finally out of the clutches of sports-focused universities such as Loughborough and Durham, Nottingham hopes to get more freshers into the game (and develop a side that can continue to dominate Trent at Varsity…).

Impact Sport caught up with UoNWRFC scrum-half and captain Jess Green.

How did you come to play rugby?

JG: I started playing rugby at high school about four or five years ago when someone came into our school giving a rugby taster session for girls. My family have always been massive rugby fans so I couldn’t refuse the opportunity to try the sport. After trying it, I loved it so joined a local club and it continued from there.

What league is you team in this year?

JG: Our team is in the Championship. It is the level below Premiership (the top) so is still a challenging league but also allows the integration of less experienced players. By being in this league we will be able to develop whilst also playing at a good level.

What are your aspirations for the year?

JG: This year, our aspirations are to win our league, which the first team has a very good shot at, as well as developing the second team, which was only established last year. It would be great if our first team could get back up to the Premiership for next year!

BX2DfM8CcAA_qpg 

Any players we should be looking out for?

JG: Emma Lumley is a player to watch out for and plays sometimes as centre or prop. Lizzie Sykes is also a great player, playing at Number 8. Our team has a number of great players though!

Is the social side a big part of your sport?

JG: The rugby socials are great and yes, they are a big part of rugby. It gives people the opportunity to get to know one another and there are always some funny stories to be told at training. Socials really do bring the team together and this is reflected on the pitch.

1959638_681076561950325_616752179_n

Do you have any advice for newcomers or people wanting to try the sport?

JG: Just come and try it! Rugby is a brilliant sport and sometimes people are put off by the stories of people getting hurt. But with the correct training this is rarely the case. It doesn’t matter what size you are, there is a position for everyone in rugby.

Any last words?

JG: Rugby is a great sport and if you are unsure about trying it, it is definitely worth a go. Our team is accommodating for anyone who wants to try rugby, no matter what experience you have. So definitely come along and try it!

NEXT MATCH AT HOME:

De Montfort on Wednesday 15th October at Highfields

JG: It will be a good match, and I can’t wait for the season to begin!

Lucy Ryall

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook

Images courtesy of Ruth Lilley Sports Photography, @UoNWRFC Twitter and Jess Green

21-year-old Ameri-Czech student of Politics & Economics at the University of Nottingham. Sports Editor @impactmagazine. FFC worshipper. European.