Travel

A-Z of Capital Cities: Flying Fish Cove

If you’re looking to go somewhere more remote this Christmas, then visiting Flying Fish Cove on the aptly named Christmas Island is definitely an option. Known as the Galapagos Island of the Indian Ocean, it’s an island full of beautiful wildlife and awe-inspiring sea views.

Flying Fish Cove is located in the north east of the island and was the original settlement by the British in 1888. Perhaps not technically a capital ‘city’, it is known as ‘Kampong’, which is Malay for village. The Cove has some of the best diversity of tropical fish in the world and is a perfect travel destination for snorkelling and scuba diving enthusiasts. The island sits close to one of the deepest points of the Indian Ocean and boat trips leave regularly, taking you to fascinating coral reefs in the depths below. Sailing is also popular around the coast, allowing you to witness the island from above sea level.

BXP48001

If you don’t fancy exploring what the sea has to offer, on land there is an abundance of rainforest, flora and fauna to explore. The island is most famous for the annual red crab migration around October and November, where almost 44 million crabs make the journey across the island to lay their eggs in the sea. It’s a spectacular occasion to witness; the crabs risk crossing roads and all kinds of human danger to reach the ocean, and the whole event can last up to 18 days.

2132862106_87d58377fc_o

The population of Flying Fish Cove is made up of Chinese, Malaysian, Muslim and Australian immigrants, which means there’s a great mix of cultural festivals throughout the year. Don’t expect to avoid the British rain all year round however; the climate is tropical and the island consists mostly of rainforest.

Flying Fish Cove is known by the locals as the best place on the island to watch the sunset, which is perhaps why a third of the 1,600-person population lives in the area. Although remote, flights go regularly from Perth, making it an excellent alternative stop-off on an Australasian adventure.

Joanna Hill 

Follow Impact Travel on Facebook and Twitter

Pictures courtesy of DIBP Images, Anderson Smith2010 and Peter McKiernan via Flickr

Travel
  • Christmas Island Resort
    25 November 2014 at 03:49