Top Five January Transfers in La Liga

The January transfer window is finally over in La Liga. On Monday 2nd February, the second chance this season for teams to improve their squads came to an end. It has not been the most active transfer period, perhaps because the wealthier clubs did not take part in many moves. Impact is here to analyse the top transfers in Spain…

Enzo Pérez

The 28-year-old Argentinean midfielder arrived at Valencia in exchange for 25 million Euros (most expensive transfer this window). He is an undoubtedly good acquisition for the Mestalla midfield, one of the best in La Liga. Parejo, André Gomes, De Paul, Rodrigo, Negredo, Alcácer and the rest will find in Pérez a good partner to combine with in fast plays. He is capable of being either the assistant or the assisted, as he is usually an integral part of the attack when his team is in possession. Another of his many abilities is to steal the ball cleanly from the opposition start play himself. His touch is second-to-none, yet he is capable with off the ball too.

Martin Ødegaard

Another nicknamed ‘new Messi’, this 16-year-old Norwegian holds the record for the youngest player ever to play in the Tippeligaen and his country’s national team. He plays like a leader already and shone at Strømsgodset before moving to Real Madrid. His main role is to create play and give the team greater fluency. His positioning for the attack is more than decent and he can often run the show by himself. We will see all this in Real Madrid B (youth team), where he is going to play for now.

Lucas Silva

The former Cruzeiro star is an all-purpose midfielder. He normally has a defensive role, between the rearguard and the final third, but is capable of mobilising the whole team. His passes are his most outstanding ability – short, long, and especially sending through balls. He also has an eye for goal thanks to his astonishingly powerful shots, which resemble those of Cristiano Ronaldo, impossible for goalkeepers to block. Surprisingly, Real only had to give up 14 million Euros to sign this promising 21 year old.

Fernando Torres

Fernando_Torres_3166643b

El Niño is back. Atlético finally returned the long-lost son who left looking for a better future, leaving a huge amount of cash needed for the Madrid side to keep afloat. Well-known by everyone, Torres’s performance is as unpredictable as the future. We never know whether he is going to fit into the team or not, but it seems he lost his magic a few years back, the second he stepped appeared in Chelsea blue. Nevertheless, he has got everything in his favour to succeed with Atléti. He is a fan favourite, Simeone seems to have trusted him since the first day, and his debut with a victory against city rivals Real could not have been happier.

Joel Campbell

Also well-known by English fans, he arrived at Villarreal on loan from Arsenal as part of the deal for centre-back Gabriel Paulista. The Costa Rican international is a versatile player who can perform in any attacking position. Accompanying Dos Santos, Vietto, Moreno and Cheryshev, he is expected to have an important role with the Yellow Submarine side. Time will tell if he fulfils the expectations put on him.

Guillermo Guridi Álvarez

Follow Impact Sport on Twitter and Facebook

Images: bbc.co.uk, telegraph.co.uk

21-year-old Ameri-Czech student of Politics & Economics at the University of Nottingham. Sports Editor @impactmagazine. FFC worshipper. European.