Style

Crazy for: Spring Jackets

Spring is finally here and with summer right around the corner, (the 21st of June to be exact) a go to jacket is essential to complete your spring/summer vibes look. I offer you a roundup of my must-have jackets on the high street right now.

DIGITAL DAZZLE

spring1

This season has seen the rise of the space age – shiny and novelty collide for one of the more fun trends, incorporating high shine metallic and childhood nostalgia to give a look that’s both cute and girly, whilst also incorporating a 90’s edge. This ASOS rain coat is a great way to ease into the trend, priced at £45. A rain coat is an essential if you’re on the festival hype this summer, which is why I picked this jacket. However even if festivals just aren’t for you (we’ve all had our fair share of an overused portaloo) this jacket is still a fun way to try out a trend.

How to wear it? For an ‘effortlessly coachella’ look how about black denim shorts, a fun t shirt and some metallic sandals to complete the look. Don’t forget your bum bag (they really are quite handy).

BANGING BOMBER

photo 4

I love, love, love bomber jackets, they can just add an urban feel to the most simplistic outfits. With celebs from the Kardashian sisters to Rihanna to Beyoncé to Zoe Kravitz all rocking them in their own way, I feel like they just work towards anyone’s signature style. Which is why I chose this khaki bomber from Topshop (a colour that is also a key spring trend), priced at £55 this is a must buy spring essential.

But how to style it? Let’s stick with a casual day time look. Rock some black or white skinnies, with a cropped polo neck and dr martens for a hectic day in the library when we still want to be styling it out. 

LETS TALK SUEDE

photo 2 (1)

As we know 70s revival is a big trend this season with many designers capturing the essence of 70s chic throughout their collections, from House of Holland and Chloe to Gucci and Calvin Klein the era’s style is in full swing. A great way to style out this trend is with this incredible suede jacket from the ASOS collection. Although a little pricey coming in at £120, its perfect for that 70’s desert babe feel. Let’s hope putting it on will revert us back to the Spirit of that ’79 optimism, freedom and rock ‘n’ roll dreams.

How to style it? I’m thinking mini denim skirt with a classic t and some high rise gladiator sandals (Topshop have a great pair on offer) oh and don’t forget the accessories, a tassel bag is sure to complete the look.

BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL

photo 3jj

Probably my most elegant pick, this longline waistcoat from Zara priced at 69.99 is a great way to brighten up your spring wardrobe in preparation for summer. I love the classic structure of the design and the lack of sleeves give it an instant I’m ready for you summer feel. The colour is amazing and is sure to make you stand out in any occasion (am I the only one who can imagine Solange in this?!).

How to wear it? Considering the colour is so vibrant I’m thinking more toned down colours to really make it pop, I’d wear a suit style co-ord preferable with tapered trousers and some sling back high heeled boots.

THE SAFE BET

5mk

Ok so maybe this is not a jacket. However with English weather as disappointing as it can be, we all need a go to safe bet for that not so sunny day. Light weight trench coats are a serious trend this season and can be worn with practically anything. From off duty simplistic, office ready, or draped over a killer mini, trench coats always offer a touch of elegance. Which is why I picked this versatile ‘Juni coat’ from Monki, priced at a reasonable £65 and coming in three different colours for those of us who simply can’t choose. This is a must add to your spring wardrobe

How to style it? I love a loose fitting patterned mini dress with a trench coat, the movement of them combined just works. To top it off how about some chunky boots for height, a signature hat and over accessorise layering necklaces and rings to give the look a bit more edge.

Chanelle Olaleye

Images: zara.com, asos.com, topshop.com, monki.com

Style