Festival: Love Supreme Jazz Festival 2015

Set in the stunning rolling grounds of Glynde Place, just a little way from Brighton and nestled in Sussex’ beautiful South Downs, Jazz FM’s Love Supreme Jazz Festival has quickly made a name for itself. Taking its name from John Coltrane’s seminal album: A Love Supreme, it started life in 2013, and is the UK’s first and only ‘green field’ jazz festival. Although it is only in its third year this summer, some of the biggest names in jazz, funk, and soul have already been tempted to grace the various stages, and there is just as excellent a selection lined up for 2015’s festival.

Over the past two years we have enjoyed a vast array of growing stars such as Snarky Puppy (who won 2014’s Grammy for best R&B performance alongside Lalah Hathaway for her song ‘Something’ and also performed at last year’s Love Supreme Festival), Gregory Porter (who is still in HMV’s top selling album chart for ‘Liquid Spirit’), as well as incredibly established names such as Marcus Miller; Courtney Pine; Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra; Chic ft. Nile Rodgers; Robert Glasper; Polar Bear, and Jamie Cullum to name a few.

[quote]This year we are particularly looking forward to the one and only Van Morrison who is headlining the main stage on the Sunday evening.[/quote]

This year we are particularly looking forward to the one and only Van Morrison who is headlining the main stage on the Sunday evening. Known for hits such as ‘Moon Dance’ and ‘Brown Eyed Girl’, Morrison is perhaps the biggest name to be on the line up so far, and he’s sure to get everyone dancing with his infectious and popular soul singing, thus bringing a fantastic finale to the weekend.

Other acts we are really anticipating this year is Joshua Redman with The Bad, to witness his pure unadulterated saxophone wizardry really is an exciting prospect. His thrilling and incredibly quick sax playing along with The Bad’s fabulous rhythm section is enough to open anyone’s ears whether they are into jazz or not.

[quote]The Bill Laurance Project is also a standout name on this year’s line-up. [/quote]

The Bill Laurance Project is also a standout name on this year’s line-up. Known for his masterful key playing with Snarky Puppy, English born Laurance is releasing his second album ‘Swift’ this year, a follow up to the critically acclaimed ‘Flint’. Laurance’s sound is certainly unique, and blends jazz fusion with classical in an exciting and captivating way; anyone who has been lucky enough to be present for his live renditions of ‘Ready Wednesday’ will tell you that Bill Laurance is a beautifully sensual, subtle, yet energetic performer, and with Snarky Puppy’s own rhythm section in tow, we are really excited to see him play.

There are of course many more acts that we can’t wait to see such as the returning GoGo Penguin, Terence Blanchard E-Collective and Rebecca Ferguson. With many more still to be announced, Love Supreme 2015 is really shaping up to be ‘a festival supreme.’

Love Supreme Jazz Festival 2015 is on the 3rd-5th July, and will be held at Glynde Place, for more information and updates head to: http://www.lovesupremefestival.com/

Jacob Banks

For more from Impact Music, check us out on Twitter