Style

STYLE NEWS – 08-14/06/2015

What the fashion world talked about this week:

Resort is over, Men’s wear has started

lcm 3

Here we are again: the seemingly never ending cycle of fashion weeks and runway shows is in full swing at the moment. After two weeks of beautiful Resort wear (we are still gushing over Chanel’s K-Pop inspired show in Seoul!!) it is now time for the men to shine. The two weeks of Men’s wear has kicked of Friday with the London Collections Men. After last season’s crotch less pants, our expectations are sky rocketing! And don’t forget that the men’s collection tend to be good indicator of what to expect for the Spring-Summer ’16 women’s wear collection that will be shown – as usual – in September.

Girls, put some clothes on!

beyonce getty 3

Carolina Herrera, the 76 year old designer, has some wisdom to share with her younger peers. After this year’s Met gala with its abundance of sheer/almost see through gowns (Beyoncé and Kim K to name a couple) it seemed as if “almost-nakedness“ had officially become a thing, but the design veteran doesn’t agree and told Robin Givhan for The Washington Post: “Some designers think it’s so modern to be naked or almost naked. They think it’s going to attract younger people if they do those dresses. No! The almost naked! Oh God! They’re trying to get people to pay attention to them. In life, there should be a little mystery.  They’re supposed to be fashion icons and they’re not wearing anything. It’s an obsession now.” And although there is no doubt that our Queen B can pull off anything, somehow we can’t help but agree. As our mothers have always said: Sometimes less is more.

RIP Madame Carven

madame carven by getty 3

The 105 year old designer and founder of  Carven, has sadly passed away last Monday. As one of the most genius designers of her time she has left a legacy far beyond her fashion house (it is her we have to thank for the push up bra after all!). She was not just a pioneer in Ready-To-Wear collections and destination shows, but her collections are said to have inspired Hitchcock classics like Vertigo and Rear Window and she created an entire collection to celebrate the release of Gone with the Wind. So much more than just a designer, she was a woman who did her own thing, who helped pave the world we are living in at the moment. In 2009 – the same year she turned 100 – she received France’s highest honour – the Legion of Honour for her services in fashion. Marie-Louise Carven-Grog will be truly missed – she was, and is, an inspiration to everyone woman.

Shoe Museum!

shoes by victoria and albert museum 3

From 13th of June until 31st of January 2016, London’s Victoria and Albert museum will host an exhibition entitled “Shoes: Pleasure & Pain”. Over two floors we will be guided through iconic shoes such as the pair of blue Vivienne Westwood platform that caused Naomi Campbell to stumble on the runway and a pair of simple pumps wore by no other than the fabulous Marilyn Monroe. If you think about shoes and your love of them, it seems impossible to not think about Carrie Bradshaw (from Sex and the City) – the woman who brought us endless hours of shoe envy and made us believe that spending your rent on a pair of Manolo Blahnik’s can sometimes be justified (sometimes …). There will also be some of the latter’s more iconic shoes and designs. All in all an exhibition not to be missed by any fashion and shoe lover.

Hillary gets Instagram

Hillary Clinton Instagram 3

You may have heard but the former first lady hoping to be the first female president has gone online! And what better to lose her insta-virginity than a photo of her almost-iconic pant suits in patriotic Blues, Whites and Reds. A poll from Harvard University’s Institute of Politics has shown that after Facebook, Instagram is the “millennials” most preferred social media – which is what Mrs Clinton seems to be banking on. In less than an hour the woman has gained nearly 10,000 new followers – which by Instagram standards is not necessarily setting a record but considering she doesn’t have a fashion line, #1 charts hit or a reality TV show, isn’t a bad effort either. The election is coming up in November 2016 is still a while to go so we are hoping for a year of food-instas and maybe the occasional selfie?!

Raphaela Ring

Images: Indigital, Getty, Victoria & Albert Museum, Instagram 

Follow Impact Style on TwitterFacebook and Instagram

StyleStyle News